What DF-specific spares would you take on a long voyage

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

What DF-specific spares would you take on a long voyage

Post by EarthBM »

Imagine you go to South Pacific or some other very remote destination (or non-stop around the world).

What Dragonfly specific spares would you take with you if you knew that you won't be able to contact Quorning? Assume there is no weight consideration.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: What DF-specific spares would you take on a long voyage

Post by Double Horizon »

EarthBM wrote:Imagine you go to South Pacific or some other very remote destination (or non-stop around the world).

What Dragonfly specific spares would you take with you if you knew that you won't be able to contact Quorning? Assume there is no weight consideration.
Lifting harness for crane, and socket for beam bolts. (All dragonflies are shipped with those.) All dragonflies that have wheel steering also come with emergency tiller, but I'd devise an emergency rudder too, perhaps in the form of adapting a commercial wind vane. In case of dis-masting I would bring truckers adjustable large load straps to tension between beam-ends (across wood blocks on the the cabin tops) to provide upward beam bracing (replacing rig tension) and perhaps to jury-rig a sail. Any other spares and tools would be specific for engine/drive-train and rigging for the model, and similar to spares for any other sailboat. That could be an endless list when you start thinking about it.

As for any boat, I'd do as much "beefing up" and scheduled/preventative maintenance as possible before leaving.
Last edited by Double Horizon on Thu 23 Sep 10, 14:01, edited 2 times in total.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Not an idle question, trying to determine what to look for in terms of hard-to-replace parts that fail. Will be poking into some used DFs soon.

Could've worded as "what are the weakest spots one should look out for in a used DF". But that would be loaded with negative vibes and less fun.

Will any DFs from this board be at the Annapolis show during Columbus Day weekend. That's when I am planning to do said poking...
Last edited by EarthBM on Wed 22 Sep 10, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Double Horizon wrote:Lifting harness for crane, and socket for beam bolts. (All dragonflies are shipped with those.) Any other spares and tools would be engine/drive-train-specific and similar to spares for any other sailboat.
Waterstays? Diamond shrouds?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

EarthBM wrote: Waterstays? Diamond shrouds?
Waterstays are replaced every 5 years. Like all scheduled maintenance on engine, etc. before leaving I would take care of everything likely to be needed during the journey.

Diamond shrouds should be good for 10-15+ years like any stainless sailboat rigging. Any good rigger can handle that -- maybe not in some deserted atoll but certainly in ports on every continent or even some major islands. Stainless rigging usually shows signs of problems before a major failure (but not always) so inspection is key. (Quite frankly, if you lose a diamond stay it will probably be under very high stress and result in a dismasting. So you'd be better off bringing materials to brace the cross-beams and prepare a jury-rig out of what's left of the mast or the boom.)
Last edited by Double Horizon on Thu 23 Sep 10, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

...Will any DFs from this board be at the Annapolis show during Columbus Day weekend. That's when I am planning to do said poking...

I will be there on Monday early afternoon and intend to spend some time with Richard Suriani, looking at the DF28, and maybe even talk to Jens! I am happy to share my knowledge after 8 seasons on 920. Anyway, if you hang around Richard he will introduce you to all DF owners that stop by.

Now to answer your question on parts: new ama, new aka, new mast, new centerboard and new rudder will have to come from Quorning if you ever need to replace them (as opposed to repair). The hinges between main hull and forward aka's will possibly need replacement if the holes become too elongated. They can also be repaired by expert welding. Waterstays can only come from Quorning. Everything else is just standards ropes, wires, blocks, hatches, fiberglass and wood. I found that some fittings have odd sizes or shapes but was able to adjust by using a file or grinding stone.

All Quorning parts are available via Richard. He can also supply other equipment that would work on a DF. Many little things are readily available from Home Depot. You just need to identify the failed item and take it with you to a store to find a suitable replacement, e.g. O-rings for hatch handles to stop leaks, stopper for companionway hatch.

There is a section in this forum for suppliers of various things for the DF.

There is one other important item to keep in mind: most 920's in the US came with a European version of the outboard. Similar or even identical engines are available here (Honda 10 25") but the electrical cable that connects the engine to the receptacle on the hull is European and cannot be purchased here. That means if the cable or the whole engine needs replacement, the receptacle or the whole electrical connection has to be re-done. The same appears to be true for the gas line. The engine side is identical to the US version, the tank side is European. When I replaced the gas tank with a larger one, I purchased common connectors in West Marine and attached them to the gas hose after cutting off the original.