Genoa Sheets - excessive wear

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
madhatter
Your Country: UK,Ryde,IOW

Genoa Sheets - excessive wear

Post by madhatter »

I sail a 920-E. We've had it for just over 5 months and already blown two sets of genoa sheets! We mainly cruise and have only done a couple of races.

The problem area is on the section of sheet in the Easyloc clutch when close hauled. The Easyloc clutch is slowly (well actually quite quickly) shredding the outer core. Which eventually blows.

The clutch itself seems to be in good order, and there is no obvious abrasive surface on the grip.

Should we be winching off the tension on the clutch before opening the clutch? I was under the impression you could open the easyloc under load. What are your experiences.

Thanks
Last edited by madhatter on Tue 28 Sep 10, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Mad Hatter - 920E - IOW
MartinRise
Your Country: Danmark, Hou/Jylland

Post by MartinRise »

To me it sounds a bit strange, if the sheets is running trough easolocks - normaly I would assume that you have selftailing winches for the genua sheets - but I could be wrong.

Kind Regards,

Martin Rise Christensen
Tolerance, DF1000, #4[/quote]
Kind regards,

Martin Rise Christensen
Tolerance, DF1000, #4
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

A couple of comments:

1. Usually, during sailing the genoa sheets are on the winch with the rope clutch in the open position. The sheets can be locked on the self-tailing winch or in cam-cleat below if the winch is not self-tailing. The only time you would lock the clutch is if you need the winch for something else, e.g. tightening main halyard or lowering main sail for reefing.

2. You MUST take the tension off the line with the winch before opening the clutch of ANY line under load. Otherwise, the clutch will strip the cover.

3. Read other discussions of lines and clutches.

4. Also, make sure that the line does not touch the fiberglass edge just forward of the clutches. I had to file and sand that area because the jib sheets were vibrating and rubbing on it.
madhatter
Your Country: UK,Ryde,IOW

Post by madhatter »

Many thanks for the reply. Guess the solution is don't open clutch under load. :oops:
Mad Hatter - 920E - IOW