Comparision DF 920 extreme - DF 28

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
heinrich
Your Country: Germany,Hamburg,Schleswig-Holstein

Comparision DF 920 extreme - DF 28

Post by heinrich »

I´m looking for a new boat. . Until now I owned monohull boats . My last was a "Grand Surprise" from Archambauld .
If i read the specfications of the two DFs it seems to me, that the DF 920 extreme should be faster and show more wind stability. - On the other hand does the older and used DF 920 cost nearly as much as a new DF 28.

What is your opinion?
Live now - pray later!!
Bob in Brazil
Your Country: BRAZIL, Maraú Península / USA, La Jolla

Re: Comparision DF 920 extreme - DF 28

Post by Bob in Brazil »

heinrich wrote: If i read the specfications of the two DFs it seems to me, that the DF 920 extreme should be faster and show more wind stability. - On the other hand does the older and used DF 920 cost nearly as much as a new DF 28.

What is your opinion?
Heinrich, I would like to know, too.

The 28 has a new, very neat folded configuration for trailering. Great, an innovative new model. Or is it to base the product line ("entry level", they say), a design aimed at cost-efficiency and the market potential of trailering?

Any thoughts? :?
WB
Your Country: Germany

Re: Comparision DF 920 extreme - DF 28

Post by WB »

heinrich wrote:I´m looking for a new boat. . Until now I owned monohull boats . My last was a "Grand Surprise" from Archambauld .
If i read the specfications of the two DFs it seems to me, that the DF 920 extreme should be faster and show more wind stability. - On the other hand does the older and used DF 920 cost nearly as much as a new DF 28.

What is your opinion?
I have just sold my DF 920 Extreme and will change to a DF 28 Sport. That will be my sixth dragonfly.

The reasons to change to the DF 28

• the independence and freedom of a real trailer-sailer. This was the only thing I missed in the past with my DF ’s. Now I can get in less than two hours on the road or in the water. The special DF 28 slip trailer and the new mast support system make this possible. There is no need for a crane or help from outside.

• more headroom, more storage space inside the cabin, a better human engineering, bigger tanks, easier handling and a stronger structure makes the DF 28 to the better cruising boat.

• the clean and functional design looks more modern

• less maintenance

• sails dryer, more comfortable and faster in rough conditions.

• the reduced width (-1,3 m to the Extreme), the new hull shapes and the stiff structure makes it more reactive and manoeuvre friendly. Sailing the DF 28 is like to sail a dinghy. Even in rough conditions it’s pure fun.

• less physical strength is needed to trim the main with the mainsheet and preventer system instead using the traveller.

• … and of cause it’s approx. 20% cheaper

I had some discussions before with my wife, because she really likes the DF 920 Extreme:

• it’s more cosy and luxury inside

• the toilet is better separated

• the front cabin is bigger and more comfortable

• the chill-areas (trampolines) are bigger

• the backdeck design looks timeless beauty and may be a little bit more dynamic

And what’s about the sailing performance? There is not a significant difference. The DF 920 is better upwind and in medium wind conditions. The DF 28 has an advantage on reaches and when the conditions are rough.

Both boats are fantastic and even when the design of the DF 920 is now fifteen years old it’s still nice and competitive.