Yamaha outboard replacement

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Michel Brown
Your Country: Canada, Quebec, Laval

Yamaha outboard replacement

Post by Michel Brown »

I have a 1998 yamaha and I would like to replace it with a 2010 model but the tiller handle is larger than the previous model and I'm afraid it could interfere with the transom.
Is someone knows if it can fit correctly on the boat?
nick peters
Your Country: Hayling Island, UK

Post by nick peters »

Hi Michael,
Did you get a new Yamaha in the end and did it fit ok? My 98 engine is up for renewal....did you go for the remote gear and throttle arrangement?
Nick
DF920 36
Michel Brown
Your Country: Canada, Quebec, Laval

Post by Michel Brown »

Nick,

I have finally bought a Honda! The Yamaha seems very large and I was affraid it could touch the transom. I had to cut the transom at 2 places (approx 2.5 cm each) at the base of the wood pad in order to fit the Honda. I did'nt install it yet but it should fit correctly.
nick peters
Your Country: Hayling Island, UK

Post by nick peters »

Michael,

which size motor did you go for....and which Yamaha looked too big - the 9.9?

Sounds dramatic cutting the transom flange that much!

Nick.
Nick
DF920 36
Mal
Your Country: Wales

Outboard for DF920

Post by Mal »

Anyone tried/seen the new Selva Pirhana 9.9 hp outboard? Is a single cylinder 4 stroke, and available extra long shaft. Selva claim it is around 10 kg lighter than the competition. In theory a single will be 'lumpier' than a twin, but depends if counterbalanced well? I noted on a Honda that I had, that the two pistons go up and down together,not alternately. Any other disadvantages to a single? Noisier maybe?

I've always fancied electric tilt, but feel that the Honda 15hp with tilt is very heavy for poor little DF920. Last time I checked, some US sites listed a 9.9hp Honda with electric tilt:- pity that not available in UK/Europe.

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea