spinnaker

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

spinnaker

Post by clarivoile »

What's the strongest true wind at which you keep the spi up?
D920 E
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

That depends on two things, how deep are your pockets and how big are your balls!
After years of sailing a tri, there is a direct correlation that the faster you go, the more expensive the repair when things go bad!

To really answer your question really depends on the overall size of your chute and the material (weight) of the fabric it is made from. My comfort level is around 15-17 knots true. But I know there are people in here that are more comfortable at an increased wind speed.

A heavier chute will fly better in stronger winds, but will have a hard time flying it in light winds.

If your new to this, learn to walk before you run. Start out in winds under 10 knots, and you will be ok. Find your comfort level and what ever you do when you are overpowered, steer down, not up.

Another thing that really helps are the chute-scoops. Making dousing it real easy.

Good luck
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

thanks, but

Post by clarivoile »

my question was rather concerning the boat. We all understand and know the cost of sailing....

With the "standard assymetric chute 90 sqm I guess, may be someone found what could be called the boat "limits", not the sails or the sailor's limits.

Not really new to this, but new on the Ds.
D920 E