swing wing wire replacement

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

swing wing wire replacement

Post by Baboonty »

I expect to change my swingwing wires and asked quorning to supply me new ones. The problem is that I have first to take down the sheaves boxes and send the the whole system (wire and box) to set the new wire.
Except if I am ready to use Norseman terminals that avoid the taking down of sheaves boxes.

Anyone have experienced such terminals?

Thanks.
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Norseman terminals

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I used those when replacing the swing wing cable on my 920. They worked fine. Just make sure you follow the instruction correctly.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: swing wing wire replacement

Post by Mika Harju »

Baboonty wrote: Except if I am ready to use Norseman terminals that avoid the taking down of sheaves boxes.

Thanks.
Those terminals work fine on my DF1000 forestay. They should be as strong than any other terminal if installed in right way.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Henrik
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Henrik »

The Norseman (or Sta-Lok) works well and they are at least as strong as swaged terminals. Remember to have the right wedge/cone to the 7x19 wire.

Henrik
Henrik
DF 800 SWR 175
Kai Schulz
Your Country: Germany, Bremen

Post by Kai Schulz »

Baboonty wrote:I expect to change my swingwing wires and asked quorning to supply me new ones. The problem is that I have first to take down the sheaves boxes and send the the whole system (wire and box) to set the new wire.
Except if I am ready to use Norseman terminals that avoid the taking down of sheaves boxes.

Thanks.
Hy Baboonty,

we take the two rear akas to our rigger, and then he
make new swing wing wires with standard non detachably (compressed) terminals, without using norseman terminal, and so we can
leave the sheave box inside the akas.
We didn't like the norseman terminals, while we think this swingwing system is a security part of our 920.
But that question must be answered everybody for himself.

kind regards from kai
Mario

Post by Mario »

Dear Kai,
I understand that you don’t like norseman terminals, but if Henrik says that they works well and they are at least as strong as swaged terminals, so it means that they works well and they are at least as strong as swaged terminals. (psssst: he is an expert!)
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Kai Schulz wrote:[quote="Baboonty"
We didn't like the norseman terminals, while we think this swingwing system is a security part of our 920.
But that question must be answered everybody for himself.

kind regards from kai
Take a look at this PDF, pages 22 and 32
http://www.bluewave.dk/
There are breaking loads for different wire terminals
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Blue wave is NOT a Norseman or Sta-Lok,. as they works on a different way.
And I know there is e lot of other brands and copys on the marked but I know, and have used the two brands for many years.

Back to the wire replacement.
Are you sure the sheave boxes are ok?
On my 800 the sheaves and even the box are broken.
Maybe it is time to take it out and check it. Then all your problems are solved.
Henrik
DF 800 SWR 175