Choice

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
clarivoile
Your Country: La Rochelle FRANCE

Choice

Post by clarivoile »

On a D 920 Extreme, with already asymmetric chute, what would you advise between a Genaker and a "code 0"
D920 E
roby
Your Country: italy, brescia, garda lake

Post by roby »

gennaker if you sail in a medium strong wind, code 0 if you sail in a very light condition
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

You need a #1 light air Genoa

Post by Double Horizon »

Neither. You already have downwind deep reaching covered with your asymmetric. You need a flatter sail for close reaching, and because of the speed performance of a trimaran the apparent wind moves forward more than monos... So you're close reaching even when the true wind is 90-degrees on your beam. Code zero and gennakers made for monohulls are too full cut for upwind sailing because of the apparent wind's forward shift.

Ask your sailmaker for a #1 light air Genoa to mount on the sprit with a continuous line furler (CLF). Sheeting point should be a turning block attached to the lifting eye on the aft beams. They may call it a code zero because of the fabric they use and CLF, but make sure they consider that it needs to be cut like a genoa -- not as full-cut as a conventional code zero.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
clarivoile

Thank you

Post by clarivoile »

I think you're perfectly right.

But what do you call full cut compare to "genoa cut"?

I've ordered both genaker and code 0, but still no measurements done yet. The code 0 fabric will be CZ60 2,6 oz.

i ordered the genak as well as I have been told that it was more efficient than the assymetric spinaeker

Thank you for your advise
D920 E
Double Horizon

Re: Thank you

Post by Double Horizon »

clarivoile wrote:I think you're perfectly right.

But what do you call full cut compare to "genoa cut"?

I've ordered both genaker and code 0, but still no measurements done yet. The code 0 fabric will be CZ60 2,6 oz.

i ordered the genak as well as I have been told that it was more efficient than the assymetric spinaeker

Thank you for your advise
Full cut means there is more of a rounded balloon-like fullness to the sail. Genoa is more flat and has less bulge when it fills with air. It should be clear if you tell your sailmaker you need a #1 genoa made of CZ60 and using a continuous line furler. (Not a typical code zero)

Considering you already have the asymmetric I don't understand why you would order the gennaker. If the asymmetric is large enough I doubt the gennaker will perform better downwind. You don't need three light-air headsails, in my opinion two will be enough: One for windward close reaching/beating and one for offwind.

Also, you should rig your barberhauler to work with your #1 genoa for when you sail a bit deeper.
clarivoile

Tanks again

Post by clarivoile »

for explanation of full cut and genoa cut. That's exactly what I've asked for.

I fully agree with your proposal. It will be like a light genoa made of CZ60 2.6o

A trimaran racer told me that he could verify that the gennaker was giving better performance down wind than the asymmetric except light wind. He thought the luff was more efficient.

Anyway, it's easier for use when I'm single handed (80% of my sailing), when it's windy, and could be use as spare whenever I've a problem with my asymmetric like just before the last regatta...
D920 E
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

One more thing - many installations using a CLF have a problem with the furler spinning (if it's mounted to the tack line) causing the furling line to wrap. If you mount it to the sprit using a shackle so the furler won't spin that will not be an issue. You can leave it mounted and rig your sails to detach quickly from the top of the furler, making it easier to switch sails using the one furler.

The only down-side to that is you won't be able to use the tack line as an adjustment.
clarivoile

Good point

Post by clarivoile »

but I don't really understand. If you mount it directly on the sprit with a shackle, how do you change he sails? You need to reach the sprit end each time, don't you?
D920 E
Double Horizon

Re: Good point

Post by Double Horizon »

clarivoile wrote:but I don't really understand. If you mount it directly on the sprit with a shackle, how do you change he sails? You need to reach the sprit end each time, don't you?
The sprit on a 920 raises. Just release the bob-stay and pull it up toward you.
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

I'm sure our local sail maker Gransegel can advice you on - and more than happy to deliver - multihull specific sails since they're experienced and fanatic DF sailors/racers themselves. Give Mats Johansson a call before decision/order 8) https://www.gransegel.se/dragonfly.html
clarivoile

Yes

Post by clarivoile »

I knew that that was the basic solution, but I was looking for something faster.

Thanks any away for the heads up on that point.

Stefan, I already contact them when you gave me their email, but they didn't look that interested.
Not a problem, I've got lot of sails maker here. But it's nicer to discuss that type of thing here

Thanks everybody

Enjoy your week end.
D920 E
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

OK, no worries - up to them
I only guessed that there's not that many good sail makers with a lot of DF-specific experience - i.e. have tried different designs and found out what's working best for each model etc.
Mats
Your Country: sweden

Downwind sails

Post by Mats »

Here is the quote if someone is interested.

https://www.gransegel.se/Dragonfly/DF920DWQuote.html

My contact information ;
https://www.gransegel.se/design.html
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

(I just changed my post) The screecher looks good.

In my opinion that's all you need, unless there's something wrong with the asymmetric you already own. See my posts above.
clarivoile

yes

Post by clarivoile »

i do agree. I'll just take the gennaker in addition as a spare for the sym spinnaker, and for ease when playing around for fun on my own in the area
D920 E
clarivoile

Here they are

Post by clarivoile »

as expected, the genak doesn't give much more than the assy.

But I've found difficulty to roll this genaker. The bottom rolls while the top don't till the very last end, resulting in the top unrolling on its own as soon as going upwind :(
D920 E
clarivoile

not really happy

Post by clarivoile »

with the code 0.
I should have followed Mats offer :(
D920 E
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Re: not really happy

Post by EarthBM »

clarivoile wrote:with the code 0.
I should have followed Mats offer :(
Can you elaborate on what you don't like?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
clarivoile

unfortunately

Post by clarivoile »

the code 0 is more full cut than genoa cut.....although my requirements were clear and thoroughly described :x

May be good for monohulls

Need to sale it, now!
D920 E