Mast Cradle for transport

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
sjschweitzer815
Your Country: USA, Racine, WI

Mast Cradle for transport

Post by sjschweitzer815 »

I have just purchased a 2000 DF920 and must transport it by truck. The original owner does not have the mast support cradle for use to ship the mast across the top of the cabin/cockpit. Does anyone in the USA have a mast cradle they would like to sell/rent or do the plans to build them exist? I have asked Quorning and they want a lot of money for the plans. I spent all I had on the boat. :lol:
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

If using a boat transport company they will have mast support brackets as part of the truck equipment.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Larry got it right, they usually set the mast below the boat on the trailer directly. Your paying them, let them do their thing.

If you are trailering it, you can use some carpentry skill and build a wooden craddle. On our old 25 we used three supports. One on the bow across the pulpit, one on the cabin roof and a support in the cockpit, (two crossed 2"x4"'s worked well.

God luck on the move - one tip - shrink wrap before moving, especially in the winter!

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

One other tip -- DO NOT let the trucker decide where to put the supports for the boat. He may tell you to go away "he's been doing this for years" but you should tell him it's not his decision if he wants the job.

You can support it beneath the centerboard trunk, and beneath the "shelf overhang" within about 6 inches each side of the waterstay hull attachments, or directly on the waterstay attachments.

Anywhere else and you may end up with MAJOR structural hull damage.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200