cup-nut vs hex nut

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
roby
Your Country: italy, brescia, garda lake

cup-nut vs hex nut

Post by roby »

Hello, I noticed that where it joins the wings sometimes there are broken bolts. other time it is easy to lose the nuts . The bolts used by quoring are cap-nut. but they tend to come loose and can break the screw if pulled too . some of you did use self-locking nuts? type hex nut. what do you think in replase all the nuts ?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: cup-nut vs hex nut

Post by Double Horizon »

roby wrote:Hello, I noticed that where it joins the wings sometimes there are broken bolts. other time it is easy to lose the nuts . The bolts used by quoring are cap-nut. but they tend to come loose and can break the screw if pulled too . some of you did use self-locking nuts? type hex nut. what do you think in replase all the nuts ?
I'm not aware of any broken bolts or cap nuts used on the beam hinges or water stays. Can you be more exact about which bolts you mean?

Also, if you are replacing bolts through fiberglass make sure you do not over-tighten. It is possible to weaken the internal structure of the fiberglass material by crushing it.

One more thing -- all stainless (inox) is not equal. There are different grades and hardness. Make sure you know the quality of the bolt you use is right for the job.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
roby
Your Country: italy, brescia, garda lake

Post by roby »

i mean the bolts that fix the floating. this pass through an iron plate.

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image