Rudder & centerboard maintenace

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Rudder & centerboard maintenace

Post by Christian »

Hi
What is the best process of reparing the rudder? The front edge of the ruddder is a littelbit damaged after close contact with some rocks.

And how do I get out the centerboard to check and maybe fix the front of that too?

Christian
Niko
Your Country: Switzerland, Zurich Area

Post by Niko »

Shortly:
1. Fill the damaged parts on the front edge of the rudder with epoxy filler, e.g. International Watertite.
2. File it to the original form.
3. Paint it 3-5 times with an epoxy paint, e.g. International Gelshield 200.
4. Use antifouling, if needed (centerboard)

International has very helpful and detailed informations, including a 50 page guide for download, on its website (www.yachtpaint.com) in different languages. They also have a german helpline, which I found very competent (may be also for other countries, I don't know).

The centerboard can be easily removed if the DF 800 hangs on a crane; there is just one Inbus screw to open. But don't pull out the centerboard rope or if you do so, replace it with one or two lanyard(s). If you want to replace the centerboard rope, note its exact length and the position of the knot in the middle.

Niko
DF 800 SW/279
popeonarope
Your Country: UK, Keyhaven/HANTS

Wobbly Rudder

Post by popeonarope »

My rudder's developed a wobble as bolts holding rudder bracket have worn in the GRP. Am thinking about expoxy and a stainless strip or something similar. Has anyone else got experience of this problem and any solution?

thanks.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Wobbly rudder

Post by tpaliwoda »

Fill the hole in the rudder with West System epoxy with a filler additive.
Let cure a few days. Re-drill the hole the correct size. Sand, paint, repair completed.
Hope that helps
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA