mast raising system and procedure

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

mast raising system and procedure

Post by gminkovsky »

I store my 920 on a trailer in my backyard and pay a boat yard to step the mast up/down with a crane. This has become too expensive. I would like to do it myself. I have all the cables/blocks from Quorning, and I know the procedure. However, to properly support the tip of the mast and move it from trailering position to raising position I would need 2 very tall ladders (4 m) and 3 people. The mast also has to be rotated so the diamond stays face down during stepping and up during trailering.

I want to make this procedure easier and looking for suggestions and/or sketches on how to do it. I know there are a few 920 owners who trailer their boats to cruising destinations and raise the mast themselves. I also read that Arne uses some kind of custom-built set-up to raise the mast.

Ideally, I would like to build something that attaches either to the trailer or to the car's hitch to support the mast while is is positioned for raising or trailering.

I would appreciate suggestions/sketches/description on how Arne and others do this. A detailed step-by-step instructions on who does what/where/when during the mast raising process would be extremely helpful.

(Note: I have a custom trailer and do not use a yard trolley from Quorning. This means that the tip of the mast is about 60-70 cm's higher than on a factory trolley.)

George
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

George - The key is handling the top section and having a reliable rest for the top.

Just one idea: If you stretch a rope between two trees (or other structure) at the right height you could use it to "catch" the top of the mast as it comes down. Then you could disconnect the base, turn it, move it to rest on a stable surface, and slowly lower the rope (easy if one side of the rope is on a snatch block). If set up properly this would be a two man operation.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Thanks Larry.

I figured that I can catch the top of the mast in various ways. The main problem is that the mast has to be moved aft about 6 m. The top of the mast has to be supported while the whole mast is being moved. That means 1 person on deck and 2 people on 2 ladders: 1 holds the top of the mast, the other moves a ladder back and supports the top while moving the mast. Then the first person moves back with a ladder and so on until the mast is moved 6 m back and can rest in a correct position on top of the boat. The deck person keeps moving back with the bottom of the mast.

I thought of making a support for the top of the mast that attaches to the hitch of the car and rests on car roof. The car is moved about 5-6 m forward of the trailer. The mast is lowered and the top of it rests on the car's support end. Then 1 person drives the car very slowly back while the deck person moves back with the bottom of the mast. My other idea is to make a very tall tripod that is positioned to support the top of the mast and have 1 person on a tall ladder. In either case, these supports that reach 4+ meters in height have to be of reasonable weight and must be easily disassembled to carry on the trailer under the boat. So some engineering is required.

I think that other must have solved this problem already, including Arne.

Too bad that Mika Harju does not own a 920. By now we would have had detailed professionally drafted technical drawings and step-by-step photos :-).
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

I think it's a bit risky to move a support by car... things could get out of control before anyone can react. The 920 mast isn't that heavy, but it is unwieldy and the leverage at either end could create some large forces.

Someone has to have control -- which means you move one end at a time by human power or controlled leverage, or you move two ends by carrying with a person on each end, or you use stable supports like a sling or crane. You could erect a tripod to act as a stationary crane to support the mid-section while you move things around under it (by human power).
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

I raised one once at the Annapolis Boat Show on one of the first 920's in the country. We did it with 4 or 5 people (one being Randy Smyth) at night.
Very similar procedure to that of the 800. Not hard at all, just a little unnerving.
It was always easier raising and lowering the 800 mast when the boat was in the water, using a pier or a floating gangway as a catch or starting off point.
How about if you rig up an extendable mast cradle for the trailer, something that extends upward to raise the height of the mast?
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mal
Your Country: Wales

Mast raising/lowering

Post by Mal »

A friend of mine has a J28 or whatever it s called, and he takes the mast up and down on a regular basis using an inverted 'V' pole arrangement fixed just forward of the mast. Apparently it is common practice with this class of boat amongst the owners.

The feet of the V are fixed to the deck edge just forward of the mast, and a line goes up and over a block at the apex. The line is looped around the mast just below the spreaders, then the weight taken on it, whilst the mast is released at the foot. Mast is then gently lowered to the deck. Mast doesn't balance perfectly, but much lower loads involved than the regulation DF method of pivoting mast from the base, which I contemplate as quite scary!

Haven't wrapped my head around whether this would be possible with the DF920 mast, but would be good if it could:- I too am getting a bit fed up with the costs of crane & rigger to drop the mast.

There was a German company;- Compass I think, that actually offer this mast raise/lower kit in their mail order catalogue.

Regards all

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

In my experience raising and lowering the mast is perfectly doable when you closely follow Quornings instructions. However, I always do it with the boat in the water and the tip of the mast on a ladder onshore. Carefully check each step and don't try it in a blow. The hard part is indeed getting the mast moved forward/backward and turned around. It can be done with two strong men, but three is much better. All other steps could theoretically be done singlehanded (not recommended).
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Photos

Post by Bo Wetzel »

There are some photos from Larry in the Photo Gallery for the DF920 showing the use of a ladder to raise the mast:

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image

PS I've contacted Arne (Dragonfly Transports). We should get some tips to this topic from him soon.
Double Horizon

Re: Photos

Post by Double Horizon »

Bo Wetzel wrote:There are some photos from Larry in the Photo Gallery for the DF920 showing the use of a ladder to raise the mast:

Image Image

PS I've contacted Arne (Dragonfly Transports). We should get some tips to this topic from him soon.
Yes those photos were taken when I used the lowering system provided by Quorning. There were some stressful moments but it worked out without problems.
Arne Reher
Your Country: Germany, Rottenburg a.N.

Post by Arne Reher »

Dear sailors and friends,
I recommend to build a padded mast support which fits on the towing hitch after taking the trailer of.
The must support should be supported by some braces to a roof rack or similar (triangulation).
The mast support should be higher than the mast top height when the jockey wheel of the trailer is totally extended e.g. front the of the trailer is as high as possible.
Don't forget to add some padding to the mast support and some way of preventing the mast from slipping fore and aft but allowing the mast to be turned on its axis.

If you look at the enclosed photos you will see easily how it's done.
Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!

Now here is how it's done:

1) Unhitch the Trailer
2) Mount the front of the trailer to it's maximum height with the jockey wheel
3) Move the towing vehicle (forward) so that the tow hitch is just under the mast top
4) Mount the mast support on tow hitch and secure on vehicle (triangulation!).
5) Unleash the front of the mast and lower slowly the jockey wheel, the mast should rest on top of the mast support it in a way that it can be turned by 180 degree but secured that it can not slip!
6) Now lower the front of the trailer as much as possible (with the jockey wheel)
7) The mast will now rest on the mast support of the vehicle and will have lifted free from the boat.
8) The aft of the trailer must be secured against tipping down (large blocks of wood?).
9) Two people go on deck and lift the back of the mast. One person slooooooowly drives the vehicle forward while the two on deck carry the mast forward till the foot of the mast reaches the deck fixing for the mast.

YOU MUST STAY IN EASY COMMUNICATION CONTACT BETWEEN ALL 3!

10) Now turn the mast till the diamond spreaders show skywards.
Put the bolt in to the foot of the mast to secure the mast to the deck fitting.
YOU MUST REMOVE THIS BOLT AFTER RAISING THE MAST!
11) If the roller reefing is already attached to mast make sure it does not drop down.

If the mast support on the vehicle is high enough and the front of the trailer has been lowered enough the diamond spreader should/will not touch the boat! (see Photo)

Should the wires of the diamond spreaders touch the pulpit slightly but you still manage to get the securing bolt into the foot of the mast things are ok.
12) now fix the Windex, antenna etc and all the stays to the mast.

......AND FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES AS FOUND IN YOUR Dragonfly HANDBOOK!

I hope this is of some help and I wish you all the best with raising your mast this way.
I've done it like this in the earlier years of transporting and rigging DFs but have now a suitable crane on my towing vehicle to make my life easier.

God luck and take great care when raising your mast.

Arne
Arne Reher
Yacht-& Transportservice
Luc Bouchard
Your Country: Pointe-Calumet

Post by Luc Bouchard »

I have tried many techniques and can confirm that the one described by Arne if the best so far. I have used it up to 6 times per season. With a pick-up truck you can simply use a ladder attached on the bed of the pick-up with a few tie-downs. Just go slowly.

Image Image
Luc Bouchard
Triangle
DF920 Racing #56