Offer accepted on hull #17!

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Offer accepted on hull #17!

Post by TC »

Yep, made an offer and it was accepted on the DF 1000 hull #17 soon to be formerly known as "Hull Raiser."

I plan to get to know her on Lakes Michigan and Huron late spring and early summer before trucking her to the PNW in July.

I've raced catamarans and mono hulls regularly. I've started crewing on a Corsair 28 to learn about trimarans. I've gone through this forum and am partly through the Farrier forum. If you've any advice, particularly "don't do this," I'd appreciate it!
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
TC

Please delete this topic

Post by TC »

Since there are no responses....
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Keep the pointy thing up!

Post by Steve B. »

That's pretty basic, but important!

Steve B.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

TC - good luck on the boat! and welcome to the "family".

My best tip for you - reef your sails before you need to reef your sails!
My first reef would be in the genoa, then take one in the main.
The boat really doesn't like to sail well without some sort of jib, especially when you go to tack.

Good luck again
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
TC

Post by TC »

Steve: Keep the pointy thing up...does Janet know you say things like this? :)

Ted: Reefing.... I once read, on this forum I believe, about a nominal reefing schedule:

20 knots actual wind 1st reef main
25 knots 1st reef genoa
30 knots 2nd reef main
35 knots 2nd reef genoa
40 knots drop the main
45 drop the genoa

Since the DF1000 is a fractional rig with a much higher main to genoa ratio, this made sense to me.
Further, compared to a mono-hull, the trimaran is a light boat and does not carry momentum through a turn like a mono would. Keeping power on the boat through a turn is critical. Using a schedule like the above would allow the genoa to function longer while lowering the main's center of lift (force) and therefore, reducing the potentially dangerous moment arm.

Thoughts?
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

TC;
It was always easier for me to reef the genoa than the main sail.

And you can always unfurl the genoa quicker too then shaking a reef out of the main sail.

Experiment and find out what works best for you.

As for speed I agree with the 20 knot - but again my boat has a tall race rig and we do carry a bit more sail area then a conventional 1000.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
puddlepirate
Your Country: detroit, mi

Post by puddlepirate »

TC,

Did you ever move it to the PNW? Just wondering what that would cost as I am in the great lakes right now.

Do you love the purchase?

Thanks,
Jarrett
wannabe dragonfly owner
TC

Yes and...maybe

Post by TC »

This turned into a dissertation. Sorry...something about more info vice less info....

After sailing Lakes Michigan and Huron for a couple months, Strider (ex Hull Raiser) was shipped and splashed in Anacortes, WA late July 2011 using Associated Boat Transport, Marysville, WA for around $9k including insurance and lifts etc (IIRC, the actual transport was around $7k). I found several east or west coast oriented companies, but few cross county. These guys were easy to work with.

Love the purchase? Well, I love my wife and in the interest of family harmony...NO, I do not, repeat do not love the purchase. Though there are times when I would trade my wife, but never my boat.

After spending the first winter making Strider 'my boat' and not 'Fred's old boat', she has met every expectation: Fast, even in light wind, of which there are a lot of in PNW summer; The flat sailing, which my wife appreciates; Able to use a normal slip; Large V-berth; Lots of storage, though not very convenient. With 300 watts of solar panels, LED lighting and 180 Ah LiFEPO4 batteries, we can spend days on the hook (30 gal water capacity is the limiting factor and wife's desire for shower means getting into a marina every few days - watermaker is on the horizon).

Sailing Stider is a lot like sailing a beach cat, the acceleration and nibble-ness require attention and sail trimming. I've hit 15 kts and typically sailing in the 6-8 kt range. Motors at 5 kts @2100 rpm and sips less than 1/2 gph. Engine is really easy to work on. She doesn't care for 4+ foot waves in the face (kind of slams across them vice plowing through them like a heavier boat). Learned to "Reef Early and Reef Often." And the hull being thin skinned and mostly out of the water, it gets HOT inside on sunny, still days (fans and a sunshade help). The head plumbing is...less than efficient, ok, kind of insane, no actually, down right dumb.

But it is a boat, not a cottage that moves. Compromises required!

I just reread this and, in retrospect, I might love the purchase.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

DF 1000 head plumbing re-fit advice:
http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... =3089#3089
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200