Sleeping in the amas?

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Sailfast?
Your Country:

Sleeping in the amas?

Post by Sailfast? »

I am seriously considering an upgrade to a DF920, but are missing at least one bunk. Are the amas large enough to be used as a teenage bedroom or is that not a realistic possibility?
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

sleeping in the ama

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

Although physically possible, it'll be quite uncomfortable is my guess (but I've never tried it).
To me it would make more sense to put a small tent on one of the trampolines, something like this:

http://www.idsa.org/IDEA2006/galleries/ ... d=41&cat=3
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Re: sleeping in the ama

Post by Jacob Blom »

Ipe Piccardt Brouwer wrote:Although physically possible, it'll be quite uncomfortable is my guess (but I've never tried it).
To me it would make more sense to put a small tent on one of the trampolines, something like this:

http://www.idsa.org/IDEA2006/galleries/ ... d=41&cat=3
We sailed for 4 years on the DF 800, with our 2 sons. The eldest always slept on the trampoline in a Hillberg, type Una shelter. After three weeks he was happy to sleep in his own bed at home, but this solution made family-sailing on the 800 possible. Now we sail a 920T and are frequently asked if its possible to sleep in the amas. My son sticked a note to the hatch:"Yes its possible to sleep here, but only if you want it very much!". So our advice: buy a good shelter.
david
Your Country: UK, CHICHESTER

Post by david »

buy the cockpit tent system . it makes a great exra space and feels very secure you. may have a fight as to who sleeps there!
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Sleeping in Amma

Post by tpaliwoda »

Try buying a cockpit tent. They are very comfortable and greatly enlarge the living space of the cabin.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Sleeping in the amas

Post by gminkovsky »

Sleeping in the amas is not realistic. Sleeping on the trampoline is acceptable for 1 person (per trampoline) only since 2 people roll towards the center. The biggest disadvantage (in our climate - US/East Coast/New York/Long Island Sound) during the summer is you wake up drenched in morning dew/condensation.

I've successfully had 3 adults and 2 children on board for 3 days in good weather. I would not do it for longer or in ANY bad weather (rain, strong wind, cold) - it is simply too cramped to be inside or in the cockpit and still manage to cook, eat, etc.

I would say that 920 is very compfortable for 2 people for 2 weeks or even longer; acceptable for 2 parents and 2 children for up to 2 weeks; acceptable for 1 couple and 2 adults for an exteded weekend; very comfortable for day sailing with up to 8 people in warm weather / full sails or only 4 people in cold weather or reefed sails.
Joyce
Your Country: USA,BOSTON/MA

Post by Joyce »

Our used 920 came with the cabin tent. It sets up quite nicely.
Has anyone tried adding screening? Bugs can be pesky in New England.

What sort of cushion arrangement works well for sleeping out there? The seats are rather narrow and interrupted with the traveler.
The floor looks like a possibility but may be in the way.

I did take a small tent w/ roll up cushion out to a trampoline. It was servicable.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Sleeping in the amas

Post by gminkovsky »

Sleeping on the floor is problematic becuase of the traveller. To sleep in the cockpit we use the folding seats the type that goes from flat to a self supporting seat (see West Marine catalog). Lying flat it is long enough from cabin to traveller. We use a cushion from traveller to transom. This way you have a fully flat bed and the traveller is not in the way.

Regarding bugs: I find that a few hundred feet away from shore make all the difference. Anything less than 200-300 feet makes for a cost efficient meal for the bugs :D