anyone rigged a kite to ama bow?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

anyone rigged a kite to ama bow?

Post by EarthBM »

Noticed a thru-hole in the front aka just above the ama that looks purpose made for a tackline that you would run from the block mounted to the ama bow and to the block on the back aka that is used for gennaker lines. I assume it's for the tackline on the windward ama to be able to run deeper downwind. Has anyone done this? Got pics? on what kind of wind angle does this make sense?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

thru-holes

Post by penryj »

I uses these holes as fairleads for the barber-hauler system for the genoa.
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

You can use it as both: a barber-hauler for jib and a tackline for gennaker. In some situations it pays to steer directly downwind in stead of sailing wider angles. When you choose steering close to downwind with gennaker you can opt to use both-sides barber-haulers as tacklines – one on the tack, and the other one on the clew corner, slackening totally on the bowsprit's tackline. In this case the gennaker will work more fully - as spinnaker.
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

I have hard time picturing it in my head, my barber haulers are attached to the backside of front akas, not going through the holes in the akas.

Mario, does this solution involve the tackline going through a block on the ama's bow?

Pictures?
Mario

Post by Mario »

Ok, I’ve sent two pict: on the 1st you can se the arrangement. On the front of the ama the line goes through the block on the bow and back to aka’s bracket when “inactive”, as from that point it’s easy to pick it up when sailing. But in stead of the shackle between genoa sheet and barber-hauler should be double-block as on pict. 2. Pict.1 is two years old when I tried different modes to avoid heavy blocks hammering the deck, but I gave up. This heavy-duty blocks work perfect without doing much harm to the gelcoat anyway (only the noise is horrible).

Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks Mario! This makes sense, I am doing it this weekend!
Mario

Post by Mario »

… se also sticky note: ”Barberhaul” in: Rig/sails of General Dragonfly Trimarans User Forum
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Found a video of a 35 with what looks like a standard Gennaker rigged to the ama bows and the bowsprit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q46UKEtPyfE
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

I finally rigged the barber hauler lines to the gennaker tack. In this video I am not using them but you can see them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExGdG7Tjro

Good for up to 30 extra degrees of deeper reaching I guess – the gennaker is as stable in 150 degree apparent as it was in 120 apparent before.