What's inside your mast (I have an empty track)

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

What's inside your mast (I have an empty track)

Post by EarthBM »

Looking at under the mast blocks, on the starboard side I have main halyard, gennaker halyard, 1st reef, and the board-up line going down. On the port side I have genoa halyard, 2nd reef, the board-down line going down, and an empty slot.

I am thinking of putting a spare halyard and using it as a topping lift, but that's too much of a line for a topping lift. Any other uses? I assume the empty block on top is pointing aft, am I right?

What do you have in yours?

ps over 15 kts in puffs yesterday with a Genny, I know it's not a big deal, but felt pretty exciting to me.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Ok, the plot thickens a bit (I am sure the answer will seem obvious after the fact). Went to the top of the mast today and did not see any empty tracks (I only saw the aft side of the mast).

This could mean the bottom entrance is for the third reef line, but I don't see any exit for that either. Picture: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7968/emptytrack.jpg
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Talking to myself here, but it seems that the only thing it can be is a track for another foresail halyard. Either a Code Zero (Which would either require another block attached in the middle of the bowsprit) or a smaller jib for a cutter rig.

I am not about to rig either, but would be interesting to see what others have done with it.