Raymarine instruments and connections

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Raymarine instruments and connections

Post by gminkovsky »

My boat is 2003 and came with Raymarine ST40 series instruments, wired autopilot remote control and ST1000 autopilot.

I just upgraded ST1000 to ST2000 autopilot and a new wireless remote control / remote instrument readout.

I need to connect the base station for the remote to the existing Raymarine Seatalk interface. I believe I can connect it to the main raymarine bus/interface or split a connection out of the instruments.

A few questions:
What is the preferred connection method?
Where is the main Raymarine bus/interface located on 920?
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
George
extravert
Your Country: UK,Chester

Post by extravert »

All Seatalk devices are daisy-chained together using the proprietary Raymarine Seatalk cables. These have a slightly curved 3 way plug on the end of them. Somewhere there will be a power connection as well. Raymarine's way to connect is to use their cables and if necessary, one of their multiway terminal blocks, but these cost lots of £€$.

You could save money by cutting open one of the cables and making your own connections, for example using crimps. A Seatalk cable has only 3 wires in it - yellow data and red/black for +12V/ground.

Seatalk has a low data rate. You won't mess up anything by doing this as long as you make the correct connecitons.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

George,
Each instrument has more than one SeaTalk interface port on it. They are connected as a string but the actual wiring is parallel. The last instrument in a string will have an open interface port. Plug in your remote base there.

As noted by Extrovert, you can also tap into the wires using standard crimp or solder connections. Red is 12V+, Black is 12V-, and Yellow is signal.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200