DF920 Shrouds and forestay

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Mal
Your Country: Wales

DF920 Shrouds and forestay

Post by Mal »

Does anyone know the correct diameter and length of the DSF920 Cruising shrouds and forestay, please? My boat has the above deck furling drum.

What is involved in changing the forestay? Do you have to take the Profurl extrusions apart, or can a new stay be threaded down, and then a Stalock or Norseman terminal fitted to the end?

Anyone done it?

(Post last year of a DF920 newer than mine losing its mast over the side off Falmouth, due to a shroud terminal letting go has scared the life out of me, hence decision to change shrouds this season!)

Thanks

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Mal
Your Country: Wales

DF920 Shrouds etc

Post by Mal »

I'll answer my own post, as job done now.

Forestay is 7mm, shroud/backstays are 6mm.

Changing the forestay is 'fun';- you have to dismantle the whole Profurl extrusion. Stainless steel grub screws in aluminium extrusion are a recipe for problems, but I suppose there is realistically no alternative. Didn't go too badly;- one had to be drilled out at the top, one just above the drum would not come out, but forestay could be fed up through that joint without dismantling, so that screw was left in.
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
tsnre2
Your Country: Germany, Gifhorn/Hamburg

DF 920 extreme backstay diameter and length

Post by tsnre2 »

I have change my backstays. original was the diameter 6mm ( now I use 7mm) and the length from my old backstays was 11,87 m.
"In 20 Jahren wirst du mehr enttäuscht sein über die Dinge, die du nicht getan hast, als über die Dinge die du getan hast. Also löse die Knoten, laufe aus dem sicheren Hafen aus und erfasse mit deinen Segeln die Passatwinde" Mark Twain

DF 920 extreme
hein
Your Country: the Netherlands, Kraggenburg

Replacing forestay

Post by hein »

Regarding forestay replacement -

We had our forestay replaced this summer due to a furling drum failure. I would recommend letting a rigger do it if in any doubt - ours was replaced with mast standing in about 2 hours. The rigging material (forestay, drum, profile) is otherwise no different than for a "regular boat".

Make sure to contact Quorning Boats for the right dimensions and materials. Ours (920 extreme) has a dyform 7mm forestay.