Leaking ama

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Leaking ama

Post by Christian »

My boat where tilting a bit. Found water in bb ama, more than halfways up to storage compartment. It has been raining a lot last two weeks - but this was more than expected. Took quite a time to pump it out. There are three obvious ways for water to get into ama:

1) Hatchway
2) Front beam connection
3) Aft beam connection

The storage compartment is always damp - but not in the way it would be if it was the passageway for all this water.

Shold I demount the ama? Any ideas for how to find the crack?

/ Christian
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Check the hatch O rings.

Post by Steve B. »

Hatch O rings on the lock shafts deteriorate from heat and sun.

They're easy to replace and can be purchased at any hardware store.

Simply unscrew the handle on the inside and pull out the outer handle.

The O rings are just under the outer handle.

I keep several spares in my boat's stash.
Christian

Pushing up the daisies

Post by Christian »

Thank you Steve, my o-rings where no more.

So they are replaced now - and in a few weeks time; I will know if this was the source.

/ Christian
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Those hatch cover also degrade very quickly from the UV Rays too.
I usually replace mine every three years or so. Good luck trying to find them - I think Holt-Allen made them but the last time I ordered them they were special ordered.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christian

Problem solved

Post by Christian »

This spring I checked the ama more carefully than usually - and found a 15 cm long crack between the sides of the ama. So repair was the answer. To get to the crack I had to cut a larger hole in the bottom of the storage compartment. Made the hole to fit an inspection hatch. Several layers of fiberglass later - no water in ama! Now it’s dry!

One interesting thing; digging into the ama I found that it is split into four sections:
1) The storage compartment
2) Below the storage compartment - usually only access via a small round inspection hatch
3) Front of the compartment - only access via a small round inspection hatch - placed in the far end of the compartment - I cant figure out how to get there...
4) Aft of the compartment - yet another inspection hatch.

Wonder how to fix a problem not located close to the hatch of the compartment?

The good part is that I got a cellar to the compartment and uses that for things not used very often. It is always nice to have more space!