Mast rake

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
guur
Your Country: Sweden, Gothenburg

Mast rake

Post by guur »

How does the mast rake affect sailing on a dragonfly? I am worried our mast has to much rake, my theory is that it leads to less power and possibly make it more difficult to tighten forestay, correct?

I tried hanging an anchor in the main halyard and it hang aproximatley 50 cm or more behind the mast. I have not yet measured the forestay but i am thinking of shorten it.

Do any of you guys have some measurement of how raked your masts are, i.e. length of forestay or hanging something in the halyard?
/ Gustaf

P.S Our main sail is regular pin top
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

My backstays are rubbing on the rear akas, so I will be increasing the rake some. Also interested in opinions on what is affected and how (for example how much of a change in rake causes noticeable change in helm?)
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Walter Siebold
Your Country: Houston, Texas

Need Mast Rake

Post by Walter Siebold »

My DF800SW was de-masted by the previous owner and he modified the forestay, now I have a Harken furler above deck. I believe they cut the forestay too short and therefore added spacers.

I am going to get new sails (have original main and oversized genoa and have lee helm). I will replace all the standing rigging and want to replace the forestay with the correct length (mast rake).

Does anybody know what is the recommended mast rake, I will be changing my main to a square top.

I used to sail beach cats and we used to rake the mast, specially in the Hobie 16, we would rake it as much as we could to make it point higher.

Once I have new sails I would like to have a slight weather helm.

Walter
DF800SW Nr. 194