Marine Head Rebuild

For all those DF1000 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Marine Head Rebuild

Post by TC »

Back from the Great Lakes adventure and learned a lot about the DF1000 we bought, reefing, points of sail, centerboard, cranking the amas and of course banging our noggins on most anything available.

My wife, new to sailing, was introduced to Mr. Toilet. Both she, and as it turns out, Mr. Toilet, were not happy. She would have been happier if Mr. Toilet worked properly. Which leads to: Where can I find a rebuild kit?

I guess I could go on about the seeming illogic of the waste system plumbing, but the holding tank and hoses are solid. But looking to the future, has anyone installed a composting toilet?
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Which model head do you have? If you don't know, post a picture.

I replaced the holding tank and head in my 1000. Quite a project to remove the old tank, but the projcet turned out nice and I ended up with usable storage beneath the floor. The new holding tank was much larger and was located under the v-berth. I could provide pictures and how-to guidance.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

I hate to refer you to another site but this really helped me out last year when I replaced mine.

Follow this link, all your questions will be answered there. Peggie Hall is one of the leading authorities on that, and she runs that forum.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/fo ... y.php?f=31

And this is what I did last year on mine, kept the bowl and replaced the pump with one that really works!

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.h ... 7&cat=1002

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
TC

Das Head

Post by TC »

The boat is still in Waukegan so I don't have access. Since the previous owner didn't upgrade it, I assume it is the stock DF 1000. The owner's manual does not list a make/model. I've a pic and have contacted the administrator for posting.
Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!

DH,
I've seen Steve B's remodel, much like you describe. He ended up putting a water maker in the space vacated by the holding tank. Don't know if I want to go that route yet as the holding tank is still good and my wife is still absorbing the sticker shocks (plural intensional).

Ted,
Assuming your head is like mine, which Raritan upgrade did you select? From the website:
"The PHII LBA is essentially the Lower Base Assembly for the Raritan PHII toilet.
The PHC LBA is the lower base assembly of the Raritan Compact II toilet with the PHII pump."

I assume there is no interference with the cabinet? Are you satisfied with the pump handle style (arm vs pull handle)?
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

I'm using the Raritan PHC in my 1200. It's a very good head.

I don't know if you will have room for that side pump housing in the 1000. When I replaced the head in my 1000 I used the Raritan Sea Era electric head. It was easy to run power from the main panel beneath the port salon seat and under the bulkhead into the bathroom cabinet.

I pulled out the old nasty tank along with miles :) of sanitation hose and put the new 20 gallon tank beneath the v-berth. I eliminated the Y-valve and used two standpipes in the tank -- one coupled direct to the deck fitting and the other to the overboard discharge pump. All tank connections and fittings at the top.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

TC;
I had the compact one. After reading all the info on that one forum I also install a siphon valve on the discharge hose. There was none installed on the original installation from the factory.
The side pump was a little tight - I had to change the mount to right side but it works with an inch to spare.

The pump works like a champ..... if you know what I mean!

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

TC the toilet in the picture you posted has a very light weight bowl made out of plastic. Those are no longer available, and the bowl is probably interchangeable with the heavier ceramic bowl and base of whatever toilet you get (they all use 4 holes, so it's a question of diameter).

My suggestion is don't throw out that bowl if you can use it. You will save at least 10 pounds.
TC

Thanks!

Post by TC »

I'm glad this forum is here. I hate reinventing the wheel, especially since there is so much experience out there. Once again, thank you!
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
Baboonty
Your Country: France/boat in Spain (Barcelona)

Post by Baboonty »

I installed an electric Jabsco lite flush in my DF1000 and it works great.

see picture.

Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!
TC

Raritan PHII LBA Upgrade

Post by TC »

OK, based on forum input (thanks Ted), I installed the subject lower base assembly, keeping the DF stock bowl.

Up front: This is not a job for the faint hearted.

1. The stock bowl does not fit the LBA without drilling new holes in the bowl flange.
2. The new combination did not fit into the space between the cabinet and the centerboard housing. I looked at several things to make it fit, slide it forward, turn it etc. I thought about trimming the outer tabs from the pump housing and decided against it as these flanges are probably reinforcing the pump housing. So, I overcame the space problem by cutting 3/4 inch out of the plastic pipe connecting the bowl to the pump. This is a non-pressure section. Used a rubber plumbing connector with hose clamps to reconnect the bowl side to the pump side.
3. Rubber plumbing connector now does not let the assembly sit flat. Used a 3/8 thick piece of plastic (cutting board) and made a riser, cutting out a divot/groove for the rubber connector to fit down into.
4. Flush water enters from the front of the PHII pump assembly vice aft on the stock. Used a hole saw to cut a hole in the front side of the head bulkhead and routed the water line.
5. Had to shift the waste line aft about 1.5 inches.
6. The rest was just the difficulty of bolting things together in tight spaces.

7. On the good side: Instead of straight for and aft mounting, the head is now turned a bit towards the center of the space allowing more sitting room.

After all the above, it was worth it! This thing really works! Ms Kelly and Mr Toilet now get along!

The next step? I want to move the Y valve from under the v-berth to under the head itself. I think there is room and this would shorten the hoses. And with this, might be able to use some PVC vice hose. I understand PVC has more longevity.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17