Ted Oscar Paul

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Ted Oscar Paul

Post by dragonfly88 »

Maybe one of you guys could tell me what your 25/800 had for a forestay/shroud attachment. I have a welded ring but I would like to use a shackle. Not sure about the effect of side forces the shrouds would place on this piece. Thanks
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

I'm going up the mast next week to change the headsail halyard pulley, will take a photo of the set up for forestay and side stays whilst up there and post it on the forum.

Paul
dragonfly88

Post by dragonfly88 »

Thanks Paul.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I went up the mast and found my camera battery dead! However I will attempt to describe the setup, and send to Boa pic from a site I googled which shows a similar setup, only using a shackle instead of a carabiner fitting. The stainless steel hound is riveted to the front of the mast and has a tang with a hole approx 1/2 inch in diameter. through this hole is a large oval shaped carabiner fitting with a threaded locknut, approximately 3 inches long and two inches wide. The side stays and forestay are attached to the carabiner fitting. This allows even force to be applied on all three stays. My mast is not the original, it was replaced by competent riggers two years ago by the boat's previous owner.

Hope this helps.

dragonfly88

Post by dragonfly88 »

Thanks Paul, I can picture it very well from your description. I think I will look for a carabiner. The boat is out of the water as I am painting it so the mast is down. I might be in by September to catch the last two months of the season. Procrastination may pay off as we are due for a hurricane on Sunday.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My pleasure, glad it made sense. The carabiner would be the best option I think, they are very strong and safe, shackles, you never know if the pin may undo. Good luck with the approaching hurricane, I live in Far North Queensland--- cyclone country so know what you are going through.

Paul
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Picture added

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I've now added the picture to Paul's post above.
Bo

PS There should be a securing wire through the hole of the pin to avoid 'unscrewing' of the pin.