Long or Ulta Long Shaft for outboard engine for DF 800

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Phoenix
Your Country: Germany / Stade / River Elbe

Long or Ulta Long Shaft for outboard engine for DF 800

Post by Phoenix »

Good day,
I just bought a DF800 from 2003 and I'm now trying to find a good outboard engine. Presently I have the Tohatsu MFS6C SailPro 6 HP in mind which is available with a long or ultra long shaft.
As the boat is still equipped with the standard lifting plate somebody might now if a ultra long shaft will be OK (I don't want to drag the propeller through the water when lifted up) or if I need to buy "just" a long shaft motor.
As the boat will be sailed also in coastal waters I would prefer the ultra long shaft.
Transom hight for long shaft version is 562 mm and for ultra long shaft 689 mm.

Many thanks for your support in advance.
Dragonfly 800 SW Racing #287
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

I chose a Honda 8hp 4 stroke long shaft for my Df 800 and am happy with it. It is heavier than a 2 stroke but more powerful, no fuel/oil mixing, charges the battery and lifts clear of the water when tilted. Hope this helps you.

Paul
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Many thanks Paul. I now bought a 6HP Tohatsu long Shaft "Sailpower" 4stroke and hope it was the right choice.

I will revert after next summer with a feedback on the performance.

Greetings
Ortwin
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Post by choppy »

Greetings
I have been offered an 8hp mariner sail mate or sail power 30Kg any thoughts on suitability - I thought it would probably be ideal (1st choice would be a yam 8 longshaft but heavy, attractive to thieves & expensive)
Am considering an 800 is quite a light boat no keel to drag etc & actually would be pushed along better by standard 2 stroke long same as previous engine which did a very good job apart from the occasions when prop lifted out of the water in chop but i guess we are all familiar with that !

thanks as always
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Length of motor rigg

Post by Christian »

Choppy, read your thoughts about what to think of when chosing a motor - have you tried ultra-long motorshaft? I have a regular long motor shaft. And there is a thing you have to check before you go for an ultra long motor shaft.
- Can you take it up and down when the boat i folded?

I have not much space left when raising the motor in port. The propeller is quite close to the ama when folded - and the motor lifting plate is mounted in an angel to the general direction of the boat (there got to be a better word for this in English)

/ Christian
Phoenix

Tohastu news

Post by Phoenix »

So, I had the" Tohatsu 6PS Longshaft Sailpower" for the spring and it was on the Elbe in choppy conditions too short. I just sold it to get the ultra long version.
The motor is for 6 PS very strong.
Calm conditions 7 knots...
Rough conditions 6 knots
I was impressed from the motor as I did not expect so much power. The special gear & propeller for sailboats is worth every penny. Unfortunately Yamaha and Honda have nothing comparable in their stock.
The Yamaha 9.9 is the smallest "Sailpower" edition they have in stock...

Many thanks for the hints and your experiences. Christians point is very importand. It is a absolutely close fit with the Ultra Long Shaft and it might be tricky to lift the motor up when the beams are folded.
Anyhow I have no choice and it looks like if it will work out.
Keep you posted once new motor assembled.

Greetings
Ortwin
popeonarope
Your Country: UK, Keyhaven/HANTS

suitable outboard

Post by popeonarope »

I've got a 4 stroke mariner 4hp long shaft with sail drive prop on my DF800 which I'd say is slightly underpowered in a blow. In hindsight, I should have got a 6hp.

Humphrey.
jean louis
Your Country: dinard britanny france

Post by jean louis »

I bought 3 years ago a Suzuki , 4 stroke , 5 hp , "sailpower" for my DF 800 MK2 . It is light , strong enough for harbour and mooring maneuvres , has a battery charger , good choice for the DF 800.
J.Louis