Access to swing wing line block inside aka.

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Access to swing wing line block inside aka.

Post by penryj »

While replacing a swing wing line, I jammed the guide line in the block inside the aka. Is there anyway of getting to this block apart from taking off the plate and block which guides the tramp wire into the aka? I've tried loosening the hex screws but so far they will not budge.
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

You can access the block by taking of the plate at the front of the aka. I have made it several times to lubricate this block- it gives very unpleasent noise when dry.
penryj

Post by penryj »

Thanks Mario, I felt that it was the only way. Were you able to loosen the screws in the plate by hand? I can't and am contemplating using hex bit in a drill but don't want to strip the holes.
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Mario

Post by Mario »

Yes, by hand, without any problems, but I want to be sure that we are talking about the same plate: it is the big one at the front- when folded-in (this one which is hidden towards the main hull when folded out). The small plate with block for the tramp wire is fasten very thight and you cannot access the block inside the aka this way.
Mario

Post by Mario »

I have only pict of this small plate which you SHOULD NOT try to open- you can see there is no access this way.
Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!
penryj

Post by penryj »

Hi Mario, I'm with you. I was referring to the rectangular plate in the end of the forward face of the aft beam that houses the brass sheave that the tramp wire passes through into the beam. I can easily remove the large plate in the inner end of the beam (only accessible when the boat is folded) but the double block inside the beam is too far down the beam for me to reach it. How do you get to it?
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Mario

Post by Mario »

... make all the lines loose, take the plate in your hands and just pull! and pull! (is easier when partially folded)
penryj

Post by penryj »

OK, thanks. I think I get it the geometry. As the wing is pulled in, the natural movement is for the tramp wire to come out of the beam but if you keep this tight, the block inside the beam has to move towards the opening at the hinge end. Is there a need to loosen the forward end of the trampoline when doing this?
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Easing tension on trampoline

Post by Steve B. »

If it's similar to a DF1000, just push the ama back out a bit by hand(or foot) and it will slack the trampoline enough to pull the line and block out.