Fitting a new eye on bow

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Ken
Your Country: Australia, Bunbury WA

Fitting a new eye on bow

Post by Ken »

Hello All

I have set up a bowsprit to run my assymetrical spinniker. I have been using the towing eye on the bow to anchor my downhaul but the angle is poor. I want to put another eye just above the water level but there is no access inside the hull. Can anyone tell me how thick the fiberglass is on the bow at this position? If it is substaincial I would tap in a couple of large screww to hold the fitting.

Regards

Ken Mills

Dragonfly 800 fixed wing.
DF800 MkII Vamos
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

Ken, my bowsprit is secured by a large eye about 100 mm above the water line, probably is original equipment as there is no sign of screws or fasteners on the out side, so assume it is through bolted with nuts and washers on the inside. Have you thought of through bolting two fittings, one on each side of the bow? The glass is most probably pretty thick and solid in this area.

good luck with it,

Paul
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Ken;
Does not sound like a hard project. For access look for a spot where the recessed furler sits below deck. You can cut in an inspection port there to gain access to that part of the bow.
Then it is a matter of measuring and placing some sort of wooden wedge mounted into the bow so you can use a backing plate. Drill your hole, attach your eye structure and I would fiberglass over the backing plate just for a little insurance.

Good luck
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
choppy
Your Country: south coast, UK

Post by choppy »

As post below I had to find access to towing eye & ended up cutting a larger inspection hole around the water filler then refitting the filler cap in a stainless (will try to make a carbon 1 over winter) overlay if that explains it. Access to close to waterline would be pretty easy. The backing plate for towing eye (just a bit of box section aluminum surprised me as it gave considerably when nuts tightened) was a doddle.

I too need to take the bobstay lower(than the towing eye) to get a better angle & during this winter will put in a more substantial backing plate & glass it in for both arrangements - If pics help let me know & will forward.
Ken
Your Country: Australia, Bunbury WA

Bow fitting

Post by Ken »

Hello Ted, Choppy and Paul

Thanks for your suggestions.

My boat is a Dragonfly 800 fixed wing made in South Africa in 2002. I think the bow set up is different from the folding type. For a start I dont have a water tank.

I think that I may go with Paul's suggestion but put a long bolt from one side to the other.
Our racing season starts in a week so I will have to get cracking.

Thanks

Ken
DF800 MkII Vamos