Best DF for charter service

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
alek78
Your Country: Italy, Rome

Best DF for charter service

Post by alek78 »

OK, first of all I'll say "Ciao everybody!"

This is my first post and I'd like to open a topic on the charter world.

Which Dragonfly fits better the "weekly charter role" ?

Alessandro
alek78

Post by alek78 »

I mean... mediterrean sea
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Don't think any Dragonfly tri is appropriate for charter. Just my $0.02
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

EarthBM wrote:Don't think any Dragonfly tri is appropriate for charter. Just my $0.02
I agree 100%.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
alek78

Post by alek78 »

Oh my, this sounds very conclusive... :(

Even a DF1200 wouldn't fit ?

With skipper+help sleeping in the amas or in the cockpit there would be space for five/six guests...
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

I'm with everybody on this one

Post by Steve B. »

I used to work at a yacht care company which maintained and repaired charter yachts both power and sail from 32 to 65 ft. (11 to 29 m).

We routinely found operator damage which could only be described as being done by total idiots.

I would NEVER allow my boat to be operated by others unless I was aboard watching their every move, and I would still be captain.

No actions would be allowed without MY approval!

Am I a Captain Bligh? My wife doesn't think so.
I'm pretty laid back when sailing, but also protective of the health of the boat.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

alek78 wrote:Oh my, this sounds very conclusive... :(

Even a DF1200 wouldn't fit ?

With skipper+help sleeping in the amas or in the cockpit there would be space for five/six guests...
Nobody sleeps in the amas (though I have considered it as a punishment once, just for a moment). :twisted:

It's not just about accommodations. Rental boats should be simple and as idiot-proof as possible. The boat is complicated, and has many more control lines than other types of boats. People make innocent mistakes (even more likely without knowledge or in strong weather) and the result could be catastrophic. There are rope clutches that control the folding mechanism and rig tension that are near other clutches for sail control.

Plus -- they are too high-performance. You'd have a tough time capsizing a cruising mono or cat, but a Dragonfly or F-boat require crew skill and reefing judgment in 20+ knots to keep in control. Capsize on a Hobie Cat has no consequence in property damage (although someone could be injured) but it is not of the same magnitude as a critical operator mistake on a Dragonfly.

Rental boats should be rugged, and while Dragonfly boats are strong enough for intended use, they aren't strong enough for the abuse rental boats would get from unknowable, untrained operators.
Steve B.

Larry said what I was trying to say

Post by Steve B. »

Larry nailed it better than I could.

The boats are not bombproof nor are they idiot proof.

They ARE more like a racehorse than a carnival ride pony.
alek78

I meant "charter w/skipper"

Post by alek78 »

I agree with all the considerations, especially about catastrophic innocent mistakes & reefing judgements.

But I wanted to ask another thing and I now realize the misunderstanding!

I meant "charter with (skilled) skipper included"...
so that potential issues would be all except boat handling.

I had good time cruising whole weeks in JOD35s, a 3.6 ton very spartan "dinghy", and we were six/seven in the same cabin (the boat is in fact a single cabin, without internal separation).

Leaving the handling matter to the skipper and his "assistant" I was more worried about berth size, sharing of common space inside and outside the cockpit, space for guests' bags, sunbathing spaces, food storing capacity, etc.
Steve B.

No room for them.

Post by Steve B. »

Our DF1000 is ok for my wife and me + 2 cats.
That's all.
I can't imagine any more than that.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

The 1200 has an aft cabin available in two configurations. One has a single queen sized berth and second enclosed head, so it is good for couples. The other has two singles, with a non-enclosed head/vanity sink. The latter is a better arrangement for teens so they each have a separate berth.

The main cabin has the primary head/shower and galley. You have a double and a single in the main cabin if you use the settees plus you can have another couple in the V-berth. If you use all that space for people I hope you are close friends or family. Plenty of stowage in the amas and cabinets.

Then there are the pop-tents you can pitch on the nets, for the teens. Nobody sleeps in the amas.

Dragonflies are owners boats. You would do much better to buy a cruising cat for charter. Your cost-accommodation ratio is better. Have you priced a 1200 yet?