Non-skid where you need it

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Non-skid where you need it

Post by Double Horizon »

This post was inspired by the comments about slippery nets in another thread: The round bolt heads on top of the beam bases, and the aluminum strips that secure the nets to the main hull are VERY slippery.

Years ago I had a serious fall due to slipping on the bolts. Since then I have used "3M Safety Walk tape" in a 1-inch width along the entire length of the strips and have placed strips of the same material over the rows of beam bolts (I also cover the smooth fiberglass between them). It is very durable and has held up well over time.

It is available in white, and here in the US you can buy a roll or by the foot in most hardware stores. It's also easy to find sources online.

The following link shows a photo of my forward crossbeam base. Notice I also put the 3M tape on the trailing edge where there is no non-skid. That's where you need it.

This photo shows the non-skid on the aluminum strip that attaches the net. The zig-zag sewing is Gore-Rex thread (Tenara) overstiching, which is resistent to UV:
Last edited by Double Horizon on Tue 11 Mar 14, 5:30, edited 2 times in total.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

I needed that inspiration!

Post by Steve B. »

I'm going to add some to mine like you did.
I've already added a strip just outside the cockpit slightly forward of the primary winch, and a strip all the way across the top edge of the aft cockpit behind the traveler.
I stand there after dropping the main when tossing the reefing lines on top of the flaked sail.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Df 35 already has a factory anti-skid where aluminum strips are on the picture. Now, if only this tape would stick to the tramp.

Steve, if you ever decide to replace the tramp mesh with a more open one like on the Catanas, I would love to piggy back on this, we could save some money by ordering 2.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Piggy back orders

Post by Steve B. »

Ivan,

Don't hold your breath, my tramps are still in pretty good shape and I've resewn the edges with new bolt rope material and GoreTex thread.

They're still good for quite awhile.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Oh well, then on to plan B to thread a 5mm line through the trampoline holes about 3-4 inches away from the hull. 3-5 strands should make an anti-skid strip right where it's needed.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

FYI I updated the image links in the post above
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200