Folding problem

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Folding problem

Post by Christian »

Hi

I have found it hard to get the last 2 cm in place when folding the boat - it goes smooth until it is just 2 cm left until the bolt can be put in the inner hole.

It helps to move the crew over to the other side - then its goes easier. Are there any points the ama has to get below to fold? Think I have to swim and fold at the same time to see how it works.

Any ideas?

Christian
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Any extra weight in the ammas? Water, spare anchor?

Sounds like something is pressing down on the amma not to make it line up.

I know on my boat, It will not fold 100% the way back on the water, but as soon as we take it out of the water and store it on it's stand, it folds all the way in.

Check to make sure the tramp isn't caught between the main hull and the amma. I always pull them up out of the way, and actually remove them from the boat for winter storage.

Keep us posted.
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christian

Ama too light

Post by Christian »

It is the other way around - if I put more weight in the ama it would probably fold better./Christian
Christian

Front hub to hight

Post by Christian »

Hi

Been looking at the problem (replaced the lines for in- and outhaul) and the problem is the point on the ama where the front beam is attached - it is higher that the rest of the ama. When the ama is folded this hub has to pass under the side of the main hull - there are some gliding parts the ama has to glide below - and the ama is higher than those - so the way to fold the boat is to stand on the ama when folding the boat!

Any better ideas? / Christian
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Post by cogniz »

Old thread I know but did you ever solve this?
I also can't make the last couple of centimeters to lock the ama into its retracted position.

I'd love some guidance here.
Rad
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Christian

Solved the problem

Post by Christian »

Found a simple solution: sold the boat and bought a 920!

On the other hand - think the problem is that the ama is higher in water than the aka. The blocking thing is a nob on the aka, the ama is to go under this nob. As I remember - there is some gliding material on the nob. One idea can be to change the profile of this nob. Add a gliding sloop - with no blocking parts.

Another thing to look at - is the angel of the ama - is the aft or the front going in first?

Hope this can be of some help
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

The last 2 cm or so are very hard on my boat as well.

The best solution: have your first mate (or 2 if she is skinny:) walk on the trampoline while winching the last turn or 2 when unfolding or on the ama when folding.