Short video of DF 800 under spinnaker

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Short video of DF 800 under spinnaker

Post by Paul »

Apologies for the quality of parts of this video, it was shot from a Bavaria 44 during our clubs monthly fun race in Cairns Australia. We started 20 minutes after the fleet of monohull yachts in 15 - 20 knots, I thought I had brought my 3/4 spinnaker but when my crew hoisted it, realised it was the mast head which was quite a handful for 2 people. We passed the fleet after 5 miles but lost about a mile getting the kite down and tamed, so finished third. A great days sailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xeGoCnglVo
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Nice!

You were flying it with the a code zero rigged to the bowsprit -- how trricky is to gybe in this configuration?
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Paul

Post by Paul »

Very difficult I would imagine, if I were sailing the boat and knew I would need to jibe the kite I would remove the code O, but on this occasion I knew we would not need to jibe, so left it on. It was just a bit tricky getting it down and into it's bag with just the two of us, I ended up putting the tillerpilot to work and getting out on the trampoline to help my crew. We probably lost a mile by the time we got it sorted but it was worth it for the run under spinnaker! Will attempt to win the bottle of rum next race!
Paul

DF 800 Sailing on a beautiful day

Post by Paul »

Another short video of my DF 800 this time shot from the boat in 10 knots of breeze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz70qMGd ... er&list=UL
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

Something like the ATN spinnaker sleeve makes short-handed or solo spinnaker use very easy.
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

Post by allanmcdougall »

Hello again Paul I have a prod now on my 800 - looks nice in carbon but cost too much and I am a bit worried re its strength. But I just watched your video for the first time, and confirmed what I had suspected for some time- namely that the shroud arrangement on my df800sw racing has been altered, if indeed I DID buy a genuine racing version ! The decal said "racing" but I got confused reading in the manual about back shrouds, when on my boat there is only the one fractional shroud with split 1m above the deck and the adjusting block on it. There is no other(masthead) shroud.
I got a new main with square top, and I have been a little concerned by the lateral mast bend when flying it, so much so that if I reef, it is with the main first.
Did your boat come with the shrouds as per the video?
I am not actually racing the boat, but I dont want to break the mast!
Allan
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hin Allan, the previous owner of my DF lost the original mast - he blamed a broken shackle as the culprit, anyway he replaced the mast and I believe he had the riggers add the extra backstays then. He was a very keen racing sailor. The boat is a regular swing wing version, not racing, and as far as I can tell the only difference is the height of the mast and the additional backstays. It would not be hard to add the backstays to your rig, it would encompass dropping the mast and pop rivetting a stainless mast hound to attach the backstays to, then a block attached to a u bolt on the outer edge of the float to tension it, in much the same way as the fractional side shroud.
If you need the measurements of how far aft from the side shroud the backstays are positioned let me know and I will send the info to you.

regards,

paul
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

Post by allanmcdougall »

Thanks Paul.
I think some extra support for the topmast might be good, so - yes, please, when you are next on the boat if you could take the measurements then I could copy that, although the mast heights might be different of course.
Lovely big spinnaker! I am pleaed with my new code zero. My wife might let me fly it with her on board, whereas the spinnaker causes her to spit tacks. Happy sailing, Allan
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Allan,

No problem, I'm travelling at present but will be back mid next week and will make the measurements for you. I can send a tape measure up the mast on the spinnaker halyard to gauge the height of the mast, I suspect it is the longer "racing" mast.

I wouldn't dare fly the kite with my wife on board either! She's ok with the code zero though, so good luck.

cheers,

paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

I measured up today, the running back stays are attached to a U bolt on the inside (i.e.. closest to the main hull) of each aka, 200 mm measured from the rear of the aka. Two double blocks, one with becket, are required plus approx 10 metres of 8mm line (racing braid will do fine) for each side.

My mast is 11 metres and the hound is pop rivetted to the front of the mast approx 220 mm below the top of the mast. The wire used is 3-4 mm stainless, and it terminates about 1100 mm above the deck of the aka when lined up with the U bolt.

Hope this makes sense to you, if you need more info just ask,

cheers,

paul