dragonfly 800 osmosi ??

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
nenesse
Your Country: ITALIA

dragonfly 800 osmosi ??

Post by nenesse »

Chi ha avuto problemi di osmosi . quanti anni dopo la costruzione ?
ciao buon vento

Who has had problems of osmosis. How many years after the construction?
Hello good wind
alek78
Your Country: Italy, Rome

Post by alek78 »

I'm not qualified to give detailed information about DF800, in fact I don't even have the boat :(.

But I can surely tell you that weather and storage conditions are just important as the construction quality.

There are such a number of multipliers involved: temperature, water salinity, humidity, internal ventilation, days per year spent in or out of the water.
Your Country: Germany / Stade / River Elbe

Post by Phoenix »

Good day Nenesse,

Believe the matter is more often an issue as we would believe, as most owners would not like to post such issue, as they are afraid not being able to sell their boat.
Warm freshwater (as commonly known) seems to have a serious impact on our DF's. After a surveyor, whom was ordered for assisting me to buy the boat, discovered a very slight beginning of an osmosis process in the Gelcoat, I had the boat very carefully sandblasted to remove the Gelcoat under water & newly coated by professionals of an osmosis specialized shipyard in Germany. The boat is now under water much better as new (very thick protection layers, much more effective as the original coating) and I have 7 years of guaranty which I can extend if I bring the boat for inspection every five years.
Needless to say that this was a very expensive procedure but my boat is from 2003 and I maybe have to sail it for the next 20 years:). The previous owner had the boat in Hungary on the Balaton Lake which is of course very warm in the summer and it is freshwater too.
Interesting was also the fact that they had already experience in the yard with Dragonfly's and osmosis.
To be honest, I was completely disappointed about the matter, even so it is indeed a fantastic boat. As the price was still reasonable for the boat + osmosis therapy I bought the boat anyhow. As I said it was only the beginning and the damage was still limited to the gelcoat only.Overall I at least know that the boat is under water in a much better condition as when it was delivered from the shipyard. Finally I assume it will be worth it when I someday sell the boat with an ongoing osmosis guarantee and a state of the art under water coating.

By the way, the boat had an original epoxi protection from the shipyard.

Greetings
Phoenix
Dragonfly 800 SW Racing #287