Chart plotter installation

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Here is one way to install chart plotter to DF1000 Whitlock steering system. I have made this for Lowrance 7500C, but it should be easy to install any chart plotter there. There is no room for bigger plotter than Lowrance 7500C.
( http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/GM7500C.asp )

Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!

Click here for the drawing of the plate in .pdf format
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Mika;
I have mine mounted on a swing-out arm, located inside the main cabin at the companion way. It can be used at the "nav" table or in the cockpit.
I have a Simrad unit that ties into all my other electronics, pretty neat what you can get today.
They did however say in the mounting directions not to mount it near a compass.
You may want to double check your mounting directions.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Chart plotter installation

Post by Mika Harju »

Hi Ted
This mounting has been in use for one summer now. The chart plotter does not have any influence to the compass.
Cheers
Mika
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

Mike,

That exact mounting scheme is what I independently came up with after trial and error for my new Garmin 5208 chartplotter.

So far, I've just hung the compass out forward of the chartplotter yoke by its 2 aft mounting screws. I have yet to make up a new plate like you did.

Thanks for the pdf with dimensions. I should have done my due diligence earlier by scanning the Dragonfly forum!

Steve B.