sunken DF california

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
betsyderek
Your Country: Canada,Saltspring Island ,B.C.

sunken DF california

Post by betsyderek »

Hi, I am looking at a DF1000 for sale in L.A. The present owner says a rock put a hole in the main hull and about 2 ft of water got in the boat.
It has a new engine and some wiring , but the in water survey doesn't mention the accident or damage and is conflicting in its report.It is supposed to have an aluminum non rotating mast
Does anyone know the story and how extensive the damage was ?
What worries of delamination from the core or deck.
I don't want a project of repairing surprise after surprise. Apparently it was an insurance right off.
Any info would be much appreciated as I'd like to own a 1000 or 35 but don't have a lot of money.
Thank You, Derek
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

A lot more than "a hole"

Post by Steve B. »

The damage was much more extensive than that.
I have photos from the previous owner.
He told me he was anchored at the Channel Islands when in the middle of the night, "the anchor failed" whatever that means.

The boat bounced in the swells on the rocky shoreline, and further damage was done trying to remove the boat from the rocks.
The boat used to have a bowsprit platform, most of the port side of the main hull had some big cracks a couple of feet long and holes as well.

Inside the boat, the settee fronts are now painted. They used to be teak.

This boat has been for sale for several years, and the price keeps dropping.

If you decide to purchase this boat get a thorough out of water survey by a surveyor of YOUR choosing!
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Thanks very much Steve. The broker either doesn't know or isn't telling. The owner isn't saying much either. With the new engine it leads me to think it was full of water for a good period of time. Darn it would be a perfect boat for me. Derek
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Hi again Steve,
I am thinking that if the owner is willing to show me all the damage photos and insurance report, then with a thorough out of water survey by a surveyor of my choice perhaps I can still end up with this boat.
Do you still have those pics of the damage and/or the email of the previous owner.
My thought is if the present owner is serious about selling and I [with the surveyor/yacht builder] can figure out the cost the get the boat up to scratch then I will know how much to offer. For future resale I have to document right from the accident to the final repairs, so there is no doubt as to the quality and extent of the repairs. It has an aluminum nonrotating mast . Is that standard ?
Any thoughts or suggestions as to value or even pursuing this project would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

I still have 3 or 4 pics somewhere and will email them to you.
Email addy?
I hope nobody sues me over this, but it's only exposing the truth.
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Great Steve, My email is betsyderek@gmail.com My feeling is for the next owner whether me or not and for the boat the whole story need to be known and could save lives or a desperate situation if facts are hidden I wonder about stress to the beams and attachment points as well if it was being pounded on the rocks. This will clear the air. I'm on skype too with our names also.
Thanks for your help
Derek
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Derek:
If you are in the market for a 1000, mine is up for sale.
Located in NJ, and never sank!

Well taken care, priced competitively.
Just contact me for more info.

Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Hi Ted, How can I contact you ? Please send any info you have. Thanks
Derek
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

you can drop me an email at the following address - just leave out the blanks
sailfast1 at gmail dot com

Thanks
Ted
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Steve B.

That sunken DF in California has a new problem

Post by Steve B. »

While perusing the Raymarine forum, I ran across a picture of a folded DF1000 in between two Bayliner power boats.
The title of the pic is "Trimaran Mast fell over on my boat after high winds".

http://raymarine.ning.com/photo/stupid- ... ext=latest

I got to looking at the boat, no bow platform (any more), Dark blue sail cover with UK designation, grey inflatable dinghy on foredeck, CF numbers and blue tape striping.
That's gotta be the same boat.

It had been on Ebay forever and right about that time of the pic posting it disappeared from the Ebay listing.

Did they forget to tighten the cap shrouds after folding it???

Hmmm. I'm not superstitous, but it sure seems like bad luck follows that boat !

Steve
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: That sunken DF in California has a new problem

Post by Double Horizon »

Steve B. wrote:While perusing the Raymarine forum, I ran across a picture of a folded DF1000 in between two Bayliner power boats.
The title of the pic is "Trimaran Mast fell over on my boat after high winds".

http://raymarine.ning.com/photo/stupid- ... ext=latest

I got to looking at the boat, no bow platform (any more), Dark blue sail cover with UK designation, grey inflatable dinghy on foredeck, CF numbers and blue tape striping.
That's gotta be the same boat.

It had been on Ebay forever and right about that time of the pic posting it disappeared from the Ebay listing.

Did they forget to tighten the cap shrouds after folding it???

Hmmm. I'm not superstitous, but it sure seems like bad luck follows that boat !

Steve
Edited post: I have been told this happened because the owner had not folded the boat fully, which allowed the amas to lift. If the boat is fully folded the amas can't rise because they're locked into the blocks on the main hull (beneath the hull-deck joint).
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Steve B.

Does anybody know "The Rest of the Story"?

Post by Steve B. »

Who owns the boat now, and where is it?