My intro, new to forum

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
deckofficer
Your Country: El Dorado

My intro, new to forum

Post by deckofficer »

Hello to all,

My name is Bob, grad of CMA and retired Merchant Marine. Living in California and former owner of a Cal 40. I subscribe to Bill Lee's motto "Fast is Fun", and through research have decided DFs fit my personality. I hope to join in this community as a future owner and have met one member here that is active on CF. The only sailing time I have on a tri is a F28 off shore San Diego and the same boat at Lake Tahoe.
Bob
WL7GS Whiskey Lima 7 Gone Sailing
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Bob, welcome to the forum!

Post by Steve B. »

I've read your posts on CF as well.

Looking forward to hearing your posts.

Steve B.
(senormechanico)
deckofficer

Re: Bob, welcome to the forum!

Post by deckofficer »

Steve B. wrote:I've read your posts on CF as well.

Looking forward to hearing your posts.

Steve B.
(senormechanico)
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome. Deception Pass sailing must be a real trip. I am new to DF tris, but really liking what I am seeing and reading about. I won't have the post history here that I do on CF until I sail a DF, and later own one. I have nothing to contribute at this time to this forum, so am going to be a leech and just read what everyone has posted. Anyone else saying "hi", I would enjoy your reviews on your DF, and maybe boat history before getting your DF.

I'm all ears folks, lay it on me. Double Horizon doesn't have to be concerned about being PC on this forum like CF, I think I've found a boat make that speaks to me, so please, tell me how the DF speaks to all of you.
Bob
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Welcome aboard Bob. You'll find this forum isn't very active. It's not the online equivalent of a sailor's bar (like CF) but you will find good info about Dragonflies if you read past posts, or ask questions.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

Double Horizon wrote:Welcome aboard Bob. You'll find this forum isn't very active. It's not the online equivalent of a sailor's bar (like CF) but you will find good info about Dragonflies if you read past posts, or ask questions.
Larry, you and I are but a speck on the CF wall, but here your the most prolific poster and all your posts have been a good read. Owning 3 different DFs gives you one heck of a perspective them. Since all of DFs are built on order, and their current resale is strong, might be a new one for me. Two of my wants that seem to only be available in high end custom builds, is a diesel/electric hybrid propulsion teamed with a lithium propulsion/inverter battery bank. This would allow a fully electric galley with induction cook top and electric BBQ on the railing.

Kinda "out there" I know, but something I want. Dinghy will be electric and no gasoline or propane on board.
Bob
Steve B.

You're speaking my language! lol

Post by Steve B. »

I came close to converting my boat to electric and still may someday.
I did install LiFePo4 batteries and can't say enough about them.
With 320 watts worth of installed solar, a MPPT controller, Aerogel insulated fridge and hot water tank and all LED lighting, we never need to run the engine for electricity.
Believe it or not, at this time of year I can actually run my inverter for about 20 minutes a day for hot water !
Currently, I'm installing a HAM rig (Icom 706/AH-4), and AIS.
I hope the boat still floats!

Steve B. :wink:
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

A lithium propulsion/inverter sounds like something you can only get in a specially equipped DeLorean 8)

I realize the new-technology batteries are much lighter than equivalent lead-acid, but generating that much power for an electric cooktop etc. and/or ability to run extended under power would require a generator and/or acres of solar panels, no? Please educate us. In particular, I'd be interested in the total all-up weight of what you have in mind vs. diesel vs. diesel-electric.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

SteveB -
Please give the details about your LiFePo4 batteries. What did you have to modify?
Steve B.

Lithium Batteries

Post by Steve B. »

I installed 4 200aH 3.3volt Lithium Phospate cells in series for a single 200aH bank.
I use it for everything including engine start with no problems at all.
I adjusted my alternator (aftermarket) single stage regulator to 14.3volts, as low as it would go, and installed a miniBMS cell equalization board (not sure if actually needed),

http://minibms.mybigcommerce.com/templa ... ibuted.pdf

I have two 100 watt flexible solar panel$$ from Aurinco.com and a rigid 120 watt on a stern arch from solarblvd.com all hooked in parallel.

The MPPT solar controller is a BlueSky 2512 IX with a ProRemote controller which allows full programming and monitoring of the MPPT and batteries.
I set bulk charge to 14.2 max, and float to 13.8.
These batteries are amazing.
I have always got plenty of juice, and by about ten in the morning I can hit the inverter for 20 minutes @108 amps and have hot water for a shower.
The batteries are still 100% full by the late afternoon.
The fridge was a recent build (this January) with Aerogel insulation and a keel cooled Vitrifrigo BD35 compressor system.
It's a lot bigger inside than it used to be, and stays at 40 degrees f.
The freezer stays at about zero degrees F.
The boat hasn't been plugged in since I installed the fridge in February and the batteries are always full.
A side benefit is I don't have to worry about electrolysis from bad shorepower.
Overall, the system is operating perfectly.
If I had it to do again, I'd not change a thing.