Trailering DF 1000 width

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
betsyderek
Your Country: Canada,Saltspring Island ,B.C.

Trailering DF 1000 width

Post by betsyderek »

Hi What is the best way to make a DF1000 more narrow for trailering from L.A. to Canada ? I think 12 ft 4 in. requires a permit and perhaps a chase car. I am thinking that if I could take one ama off and the akas maybe it would make it more legal to be trucked and thus Cheaper in cost.Is this a bad Idea ???
Also at probably $5000 for trucking I am wondering how to find easy plans to get a welder to modify a two axle trailer to truck it home myself and put a good part of the trucking cost towards a proper trailer.
I know the 50ft mast [tall rig] and boat will be a bear to launch, but with a crane this would still be cheaper to lift and store than stuck in a boat yard for the winter and travel lift costs, non of which we have on our small island. We do have a big mobile crane.
Thanks,
Derek
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I don't have all the answers, but can give you some pointers. You should remove both amas and all akas to reduce width. Even that will require oversize permits. Not sure if it will be wide enough to require chase vehicle. 920 travels on a trailer with amas upside-down to reduce widths. You will have to put long 4x4 (10 cm x 10 cm) to support the amas on the trailer.

I have a custom aluminum trailer for my 920. It was very easy to drill holes and just bolt down the cradle to the trailer. If you want to get a trailer, I suggest doing the same - this will allow to move the cradle on the trailer if need be. (I went with custom aluminum to reduce all-up weight to a reasonable 6200 lbs which can be handled by most large SUVs.)

You can go either with a boat trailer or a flatbed equipment trailer. I suspect that a used flatbed trailer is cheaper! A lot cheaper! You will probably need a 3-axle trailer... You will need a substantial truck to tow the whole thing. I am sure towing capacity will need to be over 10000 lbs.

There are some nice write-ups on getting oversize permits. When Corsair came out with a 36, the dealer in Massachusetts towed one long distance and wrote up the process. Google it.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

You will need to remove both amas and cross beams. Then it will be down to about 11 feet wide at the aft beam bases, if my memory serves me. The easiest way to measure is to hang weights on a string from a long pole laid across the cockpit combings at the aft beam bases, with the boat folded, and measure between strings.

Launching with a crane is standard for Dragonflies. There is a lifting eye at the top of each beam base on the main hull. You will need load-rated straps about 20 feet long, to attach to your crane.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

Did you consider sailing it North? Or having someone deliver it?

May be way cheaper.

If you do move the boat over the road - you really should use the shipping cradle.

Boat is pretty easy to take apart - about 1/2 day each.
Still may need a second trailer to take the ammas. They do not flip under the cradle.

Also the mast is 45' + long. May have to take it apart at the splice point.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Thanks, From comments the current and wind are usually against you so most people go 1200 nm offshore like the clipper ships or goto Hawaii. A cradle would be the answer and could be put on a trailer later to store it. I didn't really understand the drawings from Finland.
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

The cradle has 4 support pads that are positioned under the fiberglass at each water stay attachment chainplate. Those areas are very strong and solid for at least 4 inches either side. If you support it anywhere else (other than centerboard trunk) any point loading will risk holing the hull. The cradle does not support the centerboard, but I mentioned it because that's another very strong point with solid layup, if you need to block the boat.

Also, the centerline of each hull is solid layup for about 4-6 inches either side, but (other than at the centerboard trunk) should not be point-loaded if you can avoid it.
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Thanks Larry, So do you think it could sit on its bottom with the load spread the length of the main hull and some supports on those four points. By ship to Canada from LA to Canada is over $11,000.
I also have great pictures of the damage for any potential buyers curious now or in the future that I can send.
Derek
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

Yes I believe it can sit on its bottom. The Dragonfly boats I've owned (920, 1000, 1200) are designed to be able to dry out at low tide.

There is a slight risk from point-loading. Use carpet or old tires, or some other kind of padding to spread load as much as possible along the centerline.
betsyderek

Post by betsyderek »

Thanks, I can't prove with pictures that the damage was repaired by accepted methods unfortunately, so am worried to resell down the road a few years would be difficult. Too bad if the repair has been done well. Maybe some sort of xray system?
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

I would think a good surveyor could tell a lot by listening to his hammer.