Anchoring 920 Touring

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
Roger Ferrall
Your Country: Longford, Ireland

Anchoring 920 Touring

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to mount an electric or manual windlass on a 920 Touring?

Regards,

Roger Ferrall :roll:
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Anchor windlass

Post by Double Horizon »

Having owned a DF-920 and now a DF-1000, I don't think it would be practical to mount an anchor windlass unless you modify the foredeck where the anchor locker cover is. There is no solid mount above the locker for a windlass, and a windlass works better with all-chain. All-chain and a windlass would be too heavy and sailing performance would suffer. Better to keep the boat light.

A 920 would use only a 10 kilo anchor (15k at most) so once it's broken free you should be able to haul by hand.

If you just need help breaking-out the anchor, use a short length of rope on the bow cleat with a chain hook attached, or wrap your (rope) anchor line on the bow cleat, when you are almost directly over the anchor. Pull the rode in to vertical scope and attach it, with all slack removed, then be patient. Just let it sit like that a few minutes and if there are any wind/waves the anchor will break free from boat motion, or if conditions are completely calm use just a bit of engine power and it will pull out unless you're snagged on coral/rock/debris. If you're snagged a winch won't help anyway... then it's time to dive and attach a trip line, or use other methods.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Anchor windlass - use the winch instead

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Here is some way which worked for me, even single handed without back-breaking effort (already published in the old forum):

Swing Wing Winch as Anchor Winch! Further to the anchor fittings . . .
[from: Bo Wetzel, France, 14 July 2002]

To Michael Platt's question regarding the standard anchor fitting on the beam: The disadvantage seems to be that the boat is being pulled sideways towards the anchor when pulling the cable in over the anchor fitting. The advantage is one can use the swing wing winch to get the anchor in! One needs an additional opening-block (snatch-block) with snapshackle (fixed to the pushpit) to keep the cable parallel to the cabin and above the trampoline and to guide the rope onto the winch. I use as cable 5m of 8mm chain and 40m of 16mm rope. When anchored in depth of over 3m the system works fine. That means I can steer the boat (with the engine power according to wind condition) towards the anchor and winch the cable in. I know when the chain comes over the anchor fitting that it's now only 5 more metres.
P.S. Barton manufacturs a suitable snatch-block which is sold for around 60Euro by SVB (www.svb.de)
Roger Ferrall

Anchoring 920 Touring

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Hi Larry Symmetri,
Thank you for your reply and useful tip re breaking free. You are probably right about the exrta weight which trimarans don't like.

Regards,

Roger.
Roger Ferrall

Anchoring 920 Touring

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Hi Bo,

That is a good tip for hauling in the anchor, which I doubt I would have thought of myself, will try it next time I anchor.

Regards,
Roger.