Rudder downhaul eyebolt

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
sjschweitzer815
Your Country: USA, Racine, WI

Rudder downhaul eyebolt

Post by sjschweitzer815 »

I grounded the rudder of my 10yr old 920, the kick up mechanism did not release, so the eye of what appears to be a custom fabricated bolt holding the rudder down, broke. I suspect I will need to modify the rudder to accept a more standard eye bolt. The factory bolt is about three inches long, fine threads and probably a 6mm.

Does anyone know how deep the threaded insert reaches into the rudder? If I drill out the existing insert, and epoxy another one in, will epoxy hold against the load? Anyone know how much load is on this bolt?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Mal
Your Country: Wales

920 Rudder Eyebolt

Post by Mal »

I replaced the rudder of my 920 when the old one broke. I might just still have the old eyebolt out of it kicking around in my shed.

I'll have a look over the next couple of days, and let you know if I can find it.

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
sjschweitzer815
Your Country: USA, Racine, WI

Post by sjschweitzer815 »

Thanks, Mal. Might not be cost effective to ship it to US though.
Greg Lamb
Your Country: UK Hayling Island

Post by Greg Lamb »

We had this exact problem a while back - see here http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=430. I can report that the repair has held up well. As reported in the other thread, I drilled out the old bolt to about 25mm then hit something really hard. You really need a drill press and a jig to hold the rudder stationary and vertical - I suspect if you try this with a hand held drill you will slip and drill off centre.

I enlarged the hole slightly to take the new eyebolt and filled the hole with epoxy. I then placed the new eyebolt (shortened to 25mm) in the hole and let it cure. A word of warning - make sure the new eyebolt is no larger than the original - there is not much clearance as it passes into the rudder stock and a larger eyebolt will not fit, or jam up.

Although the eyebolt is only epoxied in a short distance, it has not shown any signs of pulling out.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Greg
Greg - DF 920 Cold Fusion
Mal

Rudder Downhaul eyebolt

Post by Mal »

Have hunted high & low for my old eyebolt, but can't find it anywhere. sorry!
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Mal

Rudder Eye Bolt

Post by Mal »

Mr Scweitzer;- Have just found my old eyebolt off my 1998 DF920. Typical;- I stopped looking for it after sending a post yesterday, and today it turns up whilst I'm looking for something else!

It is 4 inches long from the underside of the flange to the end of the thread.
Overall diameter of bolt including thread is 8mm.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget that the eye has to finish up horizontal, otherwise it will foul & prevent the rudder from coming right home against the transom bracket.
Roland
Your Country: Ipswich, UK

Post by Roland »

We had the problem descibed in post 1 this weekend, except the eyebolt unscrewed rather than broke.

A reminder I think to make sure that the quick release does not get salted up, and that it ( and the centreboard release ) need to be checked and flushed with fresh water regularly.

We have a 2006 Hybrid ie an Extreme rudder. Standard 50mm x 10mm eyebolt did the trick as a replacement. It screwed in good and tight, with epoxy to help lock it. Over 20 knts on the following day, and all well.

Roland