DF 25 Mk 1 mast base question

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
eastbay
Your Country: Oakland, CA USA

DF 25 Mk 1 mast base question

Post by eastbay »

Hello All, new owner here of a 1984 Dragonfly 25 Mk 1 (is that the right designation?).
The previous owner showed me how to raise the mast, but he said that he left the pin in at the base since he had heard of the mast jumping out of the base. It does look like there is not much engagement between the rod that is bolted inside the mast and the mast step base that is mounted to the cabin top. There is a 1/8" (3 mm) stainless rod welded across the mast step about 1/4" (6 mm) up from the bottom and that seems to be the only thing locating the pivoting mast.
Can anyone shed any light? Does it work in practice or am I missing a piece?
Sorry for no photo- if needed I'll get one ASAP, but maybe someone knows exactly what I'm talking about :lol:
TIA and looking forward to being a member of the DF community
eastbay
Your Country: Oakland, CA USA

Holy Guacamole

Post by eastbay »

I think that I now see the answer to my question, looking at the photos included in the mast rotation thread- you raise the mast with the pin in the hole in the mast rod end, then move the mast rod end aft of the pin and replace the pin, this retains the mast rod in the step. Right?
The previous owner told me that he kept the pin in the mast rod and didn't rotate the mast because he had been told to pull the pin and he didn't trust the minimal engagement of that little bar across the step!!! Yikes!! I guess that he didn't know about shifting it aft and replacing the pin.....
I am right about this, right?
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

JUST READ YOUR POST, YES YOU ARE RIGHT, THE PIN SHOULD BE USED ONLY FOR RAISING/LOWERING THE MAST THEN THE MAST BASE MOVED AFT AND THE PIN RE-INSERTED.
bjn
Your Country: Sweden, Vanersborg

Post by bjn »

Hello!

I've just bought a Dragonfly 25 MK1, which according to the registration sheet was made in 1981!

I'm suspecting somebody has done modifications to the mast base. See pictures in this link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yjkbbSzqqyePnRt88
Is this the original mastbase for an MK1? Mounted as by the factory?
Or am I right in suspecting that it's mounted backwards?
Because how am I going to be able to raise the mast with the method of using the boom and mainsheet if I can't lay the mast down forwards and attach the mastfoot in the base with a pin?

It might be hard to see in this picture, but I think the "deck organizers" have been removed, because there is a line of filled holes behind the front jib pulleys.
https://pasteboard.co/I6stx2L.jpg

So now I'm unsure of what to do. Leave it as it is and pay a marina with a crane to step the mast?
Or do you think I should remove the mastbase and mount it correctly, and add deck organizers etc?
DRagonfly 25 MK1 (registered 1981)
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Probably turned

Post by Christian »

Hi
The mast-foot looks backwards to me, but I only had a 800, and on those the wheels leading ropes are in the aft.
Just one wheel? Main sail, foresail, spinnaker and ref makes 4 to me.

If you can get a crane - it is quite easy to use a crane - the boom method is tricky (my view) maybe someone here can give you more advise on that.

Lay out your rope layout and try to make it work before raising the mast - or get some deck organizers.

Are the halyards on the mast or in the mast? On most 800 they are inside and going up the mast foot.