Asymmetric Spinnaker

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Roger Ferrall
Your Country: Longford, Ireland

Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Can someone tell me what is the maximum true wind speed one can fly an asymmetric spinnaker safely on 920 Touring?

Thanking you,

Roger Ferrall
Ireland.
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Re: Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Jacob Blom »

Roger Ferrall wrote:Can someone tell me what is the maximum true wind speed one can fly an asymmetric spinnaker safely on 920 Touring?

Thanking you,

Roger Ferrall
Ireland.
We think the maximum true windspeed depends very much on parameters like:
- Enough surrounding free water space to bear off in a gust.
- Will you be forced to gibe or not?
- Wavepatern and wavehight.
- The crews skill and experience in spinnaker sailing.
We use an 83 m2 asymmetric on our Touring in 5 Bf without problems. We have sailed F18 beachcats with asymmetrics and think the Df behaves simmular in a blow(spectacular!). Off course the risk when something goes wrong is much bigger, so for us 5 Bf is the limit.
Gonzo
Your Country: UK, Devon

re. Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Gonzo »

I agree with the previous post but we've flown our Assymetric on a Dragonfly 920 Hybrid ( formerly Blue Minnell II now Cold Fusion ) in a very choppy Force 7 in the Solent, as long as you have plenty of time and space then its not a problem. We do have more bouyancy than a Touring though.
Check out the picture of us finishing at the bottom of the page at
www.mocra.org.uk and the race report for the 2006 Autumn Solent Double at http://www.rsyc.org.uk/racing/frame_results.htm
Gonzo

re. Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Gonzo »

sorry - that was meant to be the 2006 Island Double
Roger Ferrall

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Jacob,
Thank you for your reply, being new to Multihulls I had no idea what was a safe speed. but I think I will play it safe and wait a while before I fly mine in a force 5.
I have enough room on the lake, (25k x 10k approx.) not forced to gibe, wave height approx. 1metre, crew not very experienced at flying spinnakers.

Regards,
Roger.
Roger Ferrall

Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Hi Gonzo,
First of all congratulations on your race win, and thanks for your reply and useful web sites. Again it is good to know that these boats can take a spinnaker at up to 7 kn and a choppy seaway, although I would rather you then me at this stage.
By the way how come you have more bouyancy than I have? I saw your photo's and Blue Minnill II looks like a standard 920 to me.

Regards,

Roger.
Gonzo

re. Asymmetric Spinnaker

Post by Gonzo »

Its one of 2 920 Hybrids that have been built ( no. 125 , Tim Wilson is the owner, I am the ballast ). It is basically a 920 extreme with the rig from the Touring, hence the buoyancy difference to the Touring . A friend had an extreme and reckoned it was hard to race in stronger winds, he has now reduced his main to the same area as ours. It has been a good decision as we seem to excel in stronger winds
Roger Ferrall

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Hi Gonzo,

That sounds like an interesting experiment, you certainly would have a lot more bouyancy than the standard 920.
Have you or anybody out there heard of a capsize/pitchpole event with a 920 under normal circumstances ( ie. that is not a force 10 in the Southern Ocean) if you know what I mean?

Regards,

Roger
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Hi Roger
Only one that I know of, and he'd cleated the spinnaker off so it wasn't the boats fault.
cheers
Gonzo
Roger Ferrall

Post by Roger Ferrall »

Hi Gonzo,

Thanks for your reply.
He was a bit of a silly b..., anyway good to know that they are so stable.
I think my problem is I am not used to multihulls at all, and don't quite trust them. I need to get out there and sail this 920 a lot more, roll on the summer season.

Cheers,

Roger.