tighten the waterstays

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
jean louis
Your Country: dinard britanny france

tighten the waterstays

Post by jean louis »

This summer ( in 20 knots wind and a choppy sea ) I lost the front port side waterstay of my DF 800 MK 2 , fixed wings , "Stress Free" (well named !! ).
There were no important damage , I changed the waterstay, the boat is now on her trailer for winter storage.
I owned this boat for four years and from the beginning , the waterstays are loose on one side and tight on the other , depending of the side the boat is lying at the mooring.
My questions :do the four waterstays have to be symmetrically and strongly tight in every circumstance , sailing or mooring ?
is this "asymettry" correct or acceptable ?
Remember ,she is a fixed wings , not foldable, DF
Thank you , kenavo.
J.Louis
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Post by tpaliwoda »

The way I have them setup on boat is they are equally tight - there is no slack at any time except when the boat is folded.

You should also have some sort of turnbuckle on them. Give a couple of turns to snug them up. Get yourself a Loose Gauge to see what the load is on the cables and balance accordingly. Balance the rig first, Then balance the waterstays.

I think you will be surprised at the improved performance of the boat!
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Post by Christian »

Hmm, don't get this, how to balance the rig before waterstays? When sailing I trim the rig all the time. Depending on wind force and angel i have to change the rigg trim. I my world I'll trim waterstays in port, and I'll trim the rig when sailing.

Or is there somthing I have missed?