Mainsail traveler too tight

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Mainsail traveler too tight

Post by EarthBM »

Mine is really hard to winch, when with the sail helping you. To the point of just not using it if there is a change of tack in the near future. With Steve B on board we figured the problem is likely due to the traveler sheet having been rigged too tight. Has anyone assembled their traveler? I can easily remove the bolts and disassemble it, just not sure how to put tension on the traveler sheet when putting it back together.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Traveler Sheet

Post by Steve B. »

Just imho, but I think you need to replace the line as I believe it is a mite short.
The line is so tightly installed, it's causing excessive friction at each block as well as the central winch.
Just install new line and use it.
You can always tighten it a bit after using it for awhile.
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

It's just unclear how to install it tight and how to tightening it afterwards. Hence the question. Didn't want to take it apart only to not be able to put it back together.
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

I experienced the same problem after couple of years- the line was just shrinking! I changed the line making it not so tight (its really easy). Well, it helped at bit, but generally traveller works hard, so hard that we use it only in long races and never during touring. Otherwise, we prefer to use bomvang (is it an english name?, hope you understand...)
m
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks Mario,
Did you remove the front plate where the winch handle goes? Or did you remove the bolts holding the sheeves at the end of the traveller? I just saw how easy traveller works on a DF1000 and want to have the same.

Now I too end up using mainsail preventer lines (they are in fact labeled boomvang on the jam cleat, not sure it's the right name). My only concern with them is that in a blow releasing the main sheet may not be enough (say if you accidentally jibe and the active preventer is on the windward side).
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

No, I did not, neither had I removed bolts. Just cut the old line, fix end to end with the new one, drag through and make a knot. It works fine. Don’t put too much tension before the last knot. Lines shrink and after couple of month you can have your problem back. Havn't seen how it works on 1000, but MSA (and tension) must be smaller.
Sure, I tried accidental jibe with preventer on! Unpleasant stories… But now we learned to remember and remind each other – we use it mainly during cup sailing.
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks Mario. I didn't have any 8mm line so I lubricated the track and managed to slide one end knot on the existing line 5mm out and it made a big difference!

Edit: on your picture in the Code0 thread I see that your traveler winch handle attaches on the forward side of the traveller bar. Mine is the opposite, on the stern side! I don't mind my setup because it allows the helmsman to trim the main, but yours looks more logical. In fact Steve B was saying that I should flip the whole traveler bar!

http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/images35/mp1.jpg
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Post by penryj »

My winch point also faces aft because I specced the cockpit table which needs the bracket facing forwards. Aft is a nightmare to trim as crew has to reach down behind the traveller. And its supertight with any mainsheet tension on. I know some owners have done away with the central mechanism and installed a winch on each side, just aft of the track.

By the way, in your picture, what is the sprung block on the track used for? Spinnaker sheets?
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

penryj wrote: By the way, in your picture, what is the sprung block on the track used for? Spinnaker sheets?
This is Mario's picture and he uses that block for the Code 0. I will likely do something similar when my Screacher arrives.
penryj
Your Country: New York, NY

Post by penryj »

Thanks, so that way you get a slightly better sheeting angle, I assume?
Penry

DF35-25
Gwas Y Neidr
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Yes. There is more in the code zero thread. Looks like a pretty neat solution to me.
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Yep, replaced the traveler line with a lot less tension on the new line (3/8", max diameter that fits) and the traveller is very easy now, my 13 year old can winch it!

Used polyesther line because that's what I had, no problems yet.