Squeaking/hard to unfold amas

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Squeaking/hard to unfold amas

Post by EarthBM »

I've been having this issue recently. The squeaking is quite loud and seems to come from inside the aft akas, but hard to tell for sure. Last 20% is the hardest to unfold, basically need all my strength on the winch. Whereas before, once you pass the point of most resistance around the last 5%, it used to unfold by itself with the front of the aka hitting the main hull (not too hard), it hardly happens now. On one side it doesn't even touch the main hull (stops 1cm from it).

Is there anything I should be lubricating or otherwise maintaining? Externally visible sheaves look ok.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
pmg2001
Your Country: US, MA

no answer here but hoping good replies come

Post by pmg2001 »

I have frequently experienced significant challenges in folding my 1200 also; way more force seems to be required than what I would like to have to apply; have broken sheaves twice; any and all good suggestions are welcomed;
Mario
Your Country: Denmark, Copenhagen

Post by Mario »

Most probably the problem is in the friction in the plastic pipe of the mesh border sleeve during trampoline sliding while un-/folding. See the topic: "Trampoline mesh can breake during un-/folding" under '35 hull issues. You can just spray some W40 into the pipe anf the problem is solved.
If you would like to lubricate block in the rear aka (which gives a horrible noise when dry) you have to release the wire pulling the trampoline, unscrew and open the entrance of the folding ropes into the aka (when folded), and than pull the plate with sheeves. Easy job.
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Post by Bo Wetzel »

I think it might be better to use a Teflon spray instead of WD40 as WD40 can have an adverse effect on some plastics.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Folding a 800

Post by Christian »

First thing to check is the trampoline - it may get stuck.

Second thing is to put the crew on the other side! On my 800 the main hull is a little bit too deep into the water.

Third thing to check is that the aft shall be closer than the bow! If the bow gets too close the aft will not get in place.

Avoid force! - Have you checked what the problem actually is? Next time, take your time and check! I did it and found that there is a point at the main hull that shall slide up on top of the ama. And when the crew is on the wrong side - there is no possibility that the ama will slide under. There may be a similar design on the other models too. So put your head down an look between the hulls. And remember - if you can't see the problem - you are looking at the wrong place...
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Mis-fed line?

Post by TC »

When I purchased my DF 1000, the starboard ama was hard to extend. I found the retract/extend line was mis-fed and did not go through a shive properly.

Also, I found the block (end of cable attached to the tramp) sometimes gets caught on my solar panel....
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks for replies everyone. I sprayed some silicon (that's what I had, couldn't find teflon spray) into the sheaves and it got better. The amas now extend and I even need to use the folding line to stop the ama from extending to fast once it reaches past the max resistance point.

Either that or my arms got in better shape from opening closing the amas and winching my still tight traveler.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"