Loose centre board

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Loose centre board

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

My centre board doesn't seem to be fixed in the drum. In light air with waves from motor boats I here a clonking sound like the board is moving from side to side, like the drum is much wider than the board. It doesn't feel secure/strong nor fast. Anyone else with the same experience out there?

I think the lines are original from 1995 (DF800 #257), could it be so simple that the board is sticking out too much from the drum hence needing a stop knot on the line?
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Loose centre board

Post by Mika Harju »

Attached drawing might help you to find out where the problem might be.

Center Board Drawing
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Stefan Kolmodin

I saw that drawing and suspect the problem could be that the board is coming out too much. If the back end isn't inside the drum then I understand the movement sideways. Strange though since everything seems to be original mounted in 1995 - have previous owners sailed like this since then?
Have to check when back in water.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

For what it's worth my board does the same, you hear it in waves when docked or anchored. If you look at it there is about 1cm gap between the board and the housing. I think it's normal, the banging stops when under way.

But the thought of gluing on rubber pads to stop that lateral movement did cross my mind. Would be interested in reading other opinions.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Stefan Kolmodin

OK thanx, since you have the same "problem" on your DF35 it seems to be normal for DFs and nothing wrong/broken on my older boat.

But this should mean that the board has an angle vs the boat when loaded which doesn't feel fast.

I mailed Quorning, but got no answer so I think I'll give them a ring to ask if they can propose a fix to this, I'll get back when/if I've fixed it.

I know that some DF28 Sport owners have bought a replacement board in carbon maybe they are fatter and maybe there is the same for DF35 if you want to fix your boat the easy (and expensive) way.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

It didn't feel like it pivots around any vertical axis, just swings around the horizontal fore-aft axis, so probably not a big impact on speed.

Here's a picture by the way, there are some discussions on the forum here about board control lines breaking
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3179/cbdownhaul.jpg
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

Post by MJF »

My centre board line is quite old, and looking a bit tired
Can the line be changed with the boat in the water or do I need to take the centrboard out with the boat in a hoist?