Installing Webasto or similiar

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Vepo
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Installing Webasto or similiar

Post by Vepo »

Has anyone installed Webasto or similiar heater to DF800?

Recommendations for installation location?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Installing Webasto or similar

Post by Double Horizon »

Vepo wrote:Has anyone installed Webasto or similar heater to DF800?

I think the main problem with Webasto or similar on a DF800 is the small battery bank and small regeneration capability. A Webasto uses about 2-8 amps per hour in operation, and you're limited to an outboard motor which generates (at most) 6 amps, and whatever solar you can mount. If you add solar you will also add at least one more battery, and you will need a diesel tank, and the project spirals upward in cost and weight.

I think you would do better with a drip heater such as Refleks or similar. Or a LP gas heater. Less power required, simpler installation.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Vepo

Post by Vepo »

Double Horizon wrote:
Vepo wrote:Has anyone installed Webasto or similar heater to DF800?

I think the main problem with Webasto or similar on a DF800 is the small battery bank and small regeneration capability. A Webasto uses about 2-8 amps per hour in operation, and you're limited to an outboard motor which generates (at most) 6 amps, and whatever solar you can mount. If you add solar you will also add at least one more battery, and you will need a diesel tank, and the project spirals upward in cost and weight.

I think you would do better with a drip heater such as Refleks or similar. Or a LP gas heater. Less power required, simpler installation.
Webasto 2000ST consumes 14-29 W/h in operation which is far less you described.
Yet it will be the largest consumer before refrigerator and plotter so using it a lot would lead to some battery capasity problems. We'll see.
I have default DF800 solar panel (around 30W I think).

I don't see is as a problem to install an external ~15l diesel tank for it.

This will be installed to be used quite rarely when it's cold & wet & totally worth it (and the battery can take it).

Huge advantage in Webasto is that it actually dries the cabin air.
So I will be installing the Webasto (already bought one). If anyone has done a similiar installation let me know how you did it :)
Last edited by Vepo on Sat 23 Mar 13, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Vepo

Post by Vepo »

Sorry double post
adrianbell
Your Country: England,south coast

heating system df800

Post by adrianbell »

Hi

I have fitted a propex gas heater system. I did research and this has the lowest electrical consumption and it has thermostat in cabin. the diesel sytems use too much current. I also fitted a self draining gas locker under cockpit seat at the same time, some boats have gas already which is even better. The system consumes very little gas. I mounted the boiler under cockpit floor on a bracket, if you take out the large drawer from inside there is plenty of space to fit. propex make a marine system and it is a warm air system with small boiler, inlet and exhaust external so very safe and only one gas connection outside of gas locker.

i run the boat on one battery with one solar panel and and additional plug in solar panel for summer when i plug in a waeco fridge.

As a back up my honda outboard produces enough electricity to run nav lights as I do sail at night in a busy area. I have changed all internal and nav lights for led bulbs or new lamps. If you need pictures let me know.
Df 800 cruising