DF800 Winter Storage

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

DF800 Winter Storage

Post by MJF »

I take my boat out every winter and store it on the trailer with the mast down and the amas removed. This usually takes a few hours to do but I know is safe.

Reading the forum I noticed johp apprear to store his on the trailer with the amas on and the mast up

http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... c.php?t=85

I was concerned that the windage or mast relative to the weight (or lack of would not be stable enough.

How do you store yours? What is your view?
Ken
Your Country: Australia, Bunbury WA

Storing a DF800 fully rigged

Post by Ken »

Hello MJF

I usually de-rig my fixed wing DF800 each winter and tow it home but I have stored it fully rigged on the hard on 4 * 44 gallon drums and it has survived 45 knot winds. For extra security a drum on each side could be filled with water and the amas tied down to them using ratchet straps around the drums to to hold the tie down ropes.

I know that you would have to contend with much higher winds than we do here.

Regards
Ken
DF800 MkII Vamos
johp
Your Country: Netherlands, Friesland and waddenzee

Post by johp »

Hi MJF,

I never had problems with storage with the mast up. We have had winds up to 11 Bft. But I have to say that the harber at the parkinglot is protected with some trees, depending of the directions. You can fixate the boat with some lines to the trailer and I always used 4 poles at the edges. The trailer weight and boat weight should prevent for capsize.
In my opinion the stability in the water is much less then at the trailer.
I kept it some years also in the water with high wind loads. It survived high windloads of 11Bft from the front and say 9-10 from the side. I have never been there with that high windload, never deared to look because at with force 7 I know it already is a scarry how the boat heals when folded (in the water). Off coarse I rotate the mast 90 degree as required during storage.

Regards,
Johan
Johan Pragt
DF920#32
Flabbergast
NL