High aspect ratio rudder

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

High aspect ratio rudder

Post by Mika Harju »

My DF is quite much over powered, about 150%, the upwind sail area is now 78 sqm.
My rudder is loosing the grip too often when the speed exceeds 17 knots and now I am looking after a high aspect ratio rudder blade. I know there are some custom made available for DF800 is Sweden but they do not fit my transom.
Has anyone upgraded DF1000 rudder? Any tips? Does DF32 or 35 or 28 rudder fit? Any other options?

Click here to view DF1000RudderArea.pdf
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
PeteV
Your Country: Finland/Eastern Finland

Post by PeteV »

My DF is quite much over powered, about 150%, the upwind sail area is now 78 sqm.
My rudder is loosing the grip too often when the speed exceeds 17 knots and now I am looking after a high aspect ratio rudder blade. I know there are some custom made available for DF800 is Sweden but they do not fit my transom.
Has anyone upgraded DF1000 rudder? Any tips? Does DF32 or 35 or 28 rudder fit? Any other options?

Hello,

I'm new to this group. I'm building a 8.6 m catamaran and when I was searching trampolin nets I googled this forum.

Mika,
I hope you got your problem solved. Was it a ventilation issue? Maybe this (a bit old) article helps (last page): http://www.ikarus342000.com/Boardsandrudders.pdf
(The author, Mr. Kohler is the designer of the Zeeman catamaran)
http://www.mijnscheepvaartmuseum.nl/#/o ... ran-zeeman

Best regards
Pete

P.S. Saw you "flying" the other day near Ominainen, beautiful!
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

MP Venekuomu tramploines

Post by Mika Harju »

Hi Pete
Finnish company MP Venekuomu has made at least 3 sets of trampolines to Finnish DFs so far. Their quality and materials are excellent and seams are both stitched and welded. This makes those much stronger.
They are not professional trampoline makers so you need to make clear what do you need and how to make it.
If you need further information just call me (nol-viis-nol-kolme- seiska-kolme-kasi-sata)
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
PeteV
Your Country: Finland/Eastern Finland

Re: MP Venekuomu tramploines

Post by PeteV »

Mika Harju wrote:Hi Pete
Finnish company MP Venekuomu has made at least 3 sets of trampolines to Finnish DFs so far. Their quality and materials are excellent and seams are both stitched and welded. This makes those much stronger.
They are not professional trampoline makers so you need to make clear what do you need and how to make it.
If you need further information just call me (nol-viis-nol-kolme- seiska-kolme-kasi-sata)
Thanks a lot Mika!
One day I will call you.
Cheers
Pete