anchors

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
david
Your Country: UK, CHICHESTER

anchors

Post by david »

the new 35 comes with 15kg bruce which does not have good reviews in the UK. :?: Jens has said that he can fit an aluminium spade anchor which at 8.5kg would reduce bow weight . has anybody had a go with one or has a view ?
regards David
Hootenanny
Your Country: UK

anchors

Post by Hootenanny »

Whilst I have not used an ali spade on a Dragonfly, I have raced for a number of years in Channel Islands on a 38ft performance monohull (shameful I know!).

We have used a spade (same weight) with a high level of success. The only problem we ever had was dropping it onto a heavily weeded bottom with a big spring running (6 knots) when the spade struggled to bite. Admittedly, we could have solved this by sticking down a bit more chain (we were mostly on rope) but in the mud of the Solent you would be ok I would have thought.

I will definitely be using a spade on my 920 Extreme when it arrives next month
david
Your Country: UK, CHICHESTER

Post by david »

thanks for your input i will give the spade a try
regards David
Mal
Your Country: Wales

Anchors

Post by Mal »

I've got an aluminium spade anchor on my 920, and have had aluminium Fortress anchors on two previous boats. Always worked well for me with about 5m of chain.

Mal
DF920 Pelican, Swansea
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

Spade size

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

Mal,

Which size do you use? 80?
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Anchors

Post by Double Horizon »

I have found that the Aluminum Spade A100 has excellent holding but does not set well in bottoms that are hard-packed or difficult to penetrate. I attribute the penetration problem to the light weight in combination with triangular cross-section of the weighted tip.

I now prefer the Manson Supreme or Rocna (about 15kg is a good size for the DF-1000). They are similar designs and have much better penetration (than Spade or most other designs) in difficult bottoms. Holding is also excellent.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200