Dragonfly folded

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
JAndersB
Your Country: Sweden, Gothenbourg

Dragonfly folded

Post by JAndersB »

Hi,
Interested in Dragonfly 32 or 35. My harbour demands folded mooring in my box and also some archipelago natural harbours demand that. Is the Dragonfly stable folded, also in high winds and can one leave a harbour folded to unfold and set sails on open water?

Also intrigued by all recommendations to reef for the gusts and remove main downwind. Does that not meen back to monohull speeds?

Regards,
Anders
Regards,
Anders
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Dragonfly folded

Post by Double Horizon »

1) Yes it is stable folded, but only in a sheltered harbor with no wake or large waves. The degree of stability depends on the model and wind/wave direction. From the side it is less. Quorning can supply the specification for each model, it will be in the owner's manual. You cannot leave the harbor folded, nor raise sails.

2) Reef for the gusts does not mean monohull speeds. If you need to reef you are able to sail above 10 knots, maybe 15 or 20.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
JAndersB
Your Country: Sweden, Gothenbourg

Post by JAndersB »

Double Horizon wrote:1) Yes it is stable folded, but only in a sheltered harbor with no wake or large waves. The degree of stability depends on the model and wind/wave direction. From the side it is less. Quorning can supply the specification for each model, it will be in the owner's manual. You cannot leave the harbor folded, nor raise sails.

2) Reef for the gusts does not mean monohull speeds. If you need to reef you are able to sail above 10 knots, maybe 15 or 20.
Thank you for the feed back. Testsailed the 32 today here in sweden. Discussed this matter with the Swedish rep. They claimed that the 32 is absolutely stable and can not tip over or heel so much so it will interfere with neighbouring boats, folded in a harbour with no waves. It is also possible to leave harbour folded and unfold outside and then set sail.....

We had 12-14 knots of wind square with old swell. We did 9-10 knots beating, 8-9 knots beam reaching with jib and 10-12 knots with gennaker. 32 supreme.
Regards,
Anders
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

JAndersB wrote:Thank you for the feed back. Testsailed the 32 today here in sweden. Discussed this matter with the Swedish rep. They claimed that the 32 is absolutely stable and can not tip over or heel so much so it will interfere with neighbouring boats, folded in a harbour with no waves. It is also possible to leave harbour folded and unfold outside and then set sail.....

We had 12-14 knots of wind square with old swell. We did 9-10 knots beating, 8-9 knots beam reaching with jib and 10-12 knots with gennaker. 32 supreme.
Knowing there are limits, you need to use some common sense and judgment.
1) I am not the salesman.
2) I colored the text of some of your words. IF the salesman actually said it the exact way you wrote it, the words I colored in red push his statement beyond truth.
3) Yes it is "possible" to leave the harbor folded. I would not do it unless conditions were calm and there was NO possibility of encountering a large power boat wake. However, in calm conditions I might do it if I had at least one side open. Having even one side open would be much safer, especially if you adjust the mast to lean toward the open side and tighten the stays so it cannot flop around.

The Dragonfly boats are well designed and the amas go deeper when folded so there is more buoyancy at the sides, to give the boat increased form-stability when folded. However there are limits. That's why Quorning advises to never raise sails when folded, and they publish those limits when folded for cross-wind and maximum broadside wave height in the owner's manual. I don't know the limits of the model 32.

Again, this is a judgment you have to make for yourself, but my main point is that it would be unwise to believe terms like "absolutely" or "can not".
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
jonny
Your Country: Sweden / Stenungsund

Post by jonny »

Hi Anders!

I have sailed my DF800 the last 7 years on the Swedish west coast.
Your concerns are none existent.
All harbours that I can think of are sheltered enough from waves that folding/unfolding safely won´t be a problem. And You rarely have to fold your boat during trips. I have never folded my boat in a natural harbour, and maybe about 5 times in an ordinary harbour.

With a multihull you never have to lay side by side with other boats in the archipelago natural harbours. If you don`t want to...

Read this post... http://forum.hamnen.se/flerskrovs-snack ... slaen.html

/Jonny