Asking for your suggestions - bowsprit and clothing

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Cruiserfly
Your Country: Austria

Asking for your suggestions - bowsprit and clothing

Post by Cruiserfly »

Dear colleagues,

I'm interested in buying a bowsprit (for a roll gennaker) for the DF 800 SW. Which product do you suggest and would it be easy to assembly this part ? Is there (as an alternative) a possibility to combine the bowsprit with an anchor as well ?

Further on I would be interesting if there exists a supplier for Dragonfly branded clothing ? Is the Quoring wharf offering branded wear or do you know another source of supply ?

I would like to buy a new roll gennaker as well. Are there any suggestions for sail makers, approved quality and ideal size ?

Thanks a lot !

Kind regards

Cruiserfly
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Post by philw »

Hi - I am no expert as I am new to Dragonflys. My 800 has a bowsprit and I think it is standard equipment. I assume Quorning could supply a replacement. Mine is in poor condition and will need to be changed this winter. I don't think it is anything too sophisticated - standard spar parts should do it.

I also like the idea of some DF branded clothing! I know there are places you can get any logo on clothing. Is there anything official?

Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Hi,
I'm sailing a DF800R with a non furling gennaker on what I think is an original part bow sprit from Quorning (check with their after sales or your local rep). A simple aluminium spar (ca 1,8 m) hinged to an easily mounted attachment bolted to the boat. Very strong dyneema lines holding it in place sideways (attached to the ama bows) and downhaul (drawn 2:1 through the trailer winch loop above the waterline). Then you need less strong lines holding the sprit in position when not sailing gennaker (drawn to each side of the pulpit) (If you want/need I can ask admin to add a picture of the set up). This is working fine and it's easy to lift up the sprit in harbour.

Regarding sail config I have apart from the gennaker (72 m2) also a code 0 (31 m2) for AWA 30 (light wind) - 80 degrees.

For a large and deep furling gennaker you need a loose non torsion rope/cable to furl it on (check this http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/asym_ ... efault.asp). I strongly recommend a top down furler.

For a smaller more flat furling gennaker you should use one with the non torsion rope/cable sewn into the luff.

Recommended sail area depends on local conditions (in Stockholm we sail in light wind most of the time - large sails) and your individual preference between performance/easy handling.

-Large non furling gennaker for racing complemented with code 0 could be 55-75 m2.
-Large furling gennaker (with separate furling cable) could be 50-60 m2.
-Smaller/flatter furling gennaker (with sewn-in furling cable) could be 45-55 m2.

All of these are in spinnaker nylon like the Bainbridge AIRX.

-A code 0 for upwind should be in some light and strong laminate (like a very light genua).

So think through what you want and go to your local sailmaker who should be able to help you, if you have local racing multihulls check with them for the best local sailmaker.

Good luck
Stefan
DF800R, SWE-257