Jib Halyard Fitting

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Jib Halyard Fitting

Post by philw »

Hi All,

My jib came down in F6/7 breeze in the Solent last week. Minimal damage apart from the fitting that secures the halyard at the base of the mast. It was a small nylon(?) button secured by a single bolt/screw. It sheared off and the jib came out of the track. We recovered it undamaged and sailed home on the main alone ( 2 reefs!)

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I'm thinking about how to improve the fittings, including a way to tension the jib luff. The old halyard didn't allow any adjustment and there were wrinkles most of the time. I guess we could have tightened the lashing at the tack, but getting the halyard on could be a challenge.

I'm thinking of a 3:1 purchase system being secured to a small horn cleat at the base of the mast. Simple and hopefully effective. any thoughts....?

Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
allanmcdougall
Your Country: new zealand, whakatane, bay of plenty

Post by allanmcdougall »

My jib came down off Rangitoto island near auckland and was awkward to handle since it had two vertical battens in it!
I put it back up temporarily- for a year!- just by tying it on to the block - no halyard at all- but have just had an accidental loss of the jib when the furling line came off the drum whilst the boat was on a mooring in a gale - leading to it thrashing itself to bits. Even if I had been on the boat I could not have done anything as I would have had to climb the mast!
New sail on order, but I am thinking over how to get a user friendly halyard in place. I think might be best to get a whole new furling system which allows for a standard type halyard, and also prevents the roope from coming off the drum. But expensive to get done, at least in NZ
sailing 1993 swing wing 800 "Kihitara" acquired Nov 2010 Located whakatane, bay of plenty.