Plans for shipyard trailer

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Marteko
Your Country: Belgium, OVL

Plans for shipyard trailer

Post by Marteko »

I read somewhere that there exist plans for a simple shore trailer, but I can't find it back anymore. Since I am on the hunt for a second-hand DF920 and have found my pick (DF920 touring late model) I may have to put it ashore for the time being untill I find a marina place and for anti-fouling. I read on this forum that you can support the boat directly under the beam supports, or lower on the hull (http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=353). What is the correct place? Can someone help me with a plan for such a trailer? I mailed Quorning, but they don't reply. This also worries me a bit: is their after-sales department up to the task if they don't even answer e-mail?
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Something like this?

Post by Christian »

This is what I got with my DF920

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatspotti ... 755112196/

It works neatly, got the boat on it now
Marteko

Post by Marteko »

Thx Christian. Where do the supports touch the boat? And how far are the supports apart transversally? Judging from the pictures the aft support is wider then the front one. The top endings also seem to be at an angle with the longitudinal axe of the trailer? And what are the 2 short stubs on the back used for?
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Added a few more photos

Post by Christian »

Added a few more photos, some of the support endings are visual on the new photos. Can take some more tomorrow if you are interested.

The stubs; actually don't know, but they came in handy for the hydraulic jack when unloading the tires for the winter.

Think the idea with no axis is to make it possible to access the centerboard. Just need a pit in the shipyard.
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Boat support locations

Post by Steve B. »

I have the original cradle for my DF1000.
The four pads support the main hull immediately beneath the water stay chainplates at the hull flare (forward and aft main internal bulkheads).

There are some photos somewhere on this site of a cradle that was made for a haulout.
Marteko

Post by Marteko »

Thx guys for your swift answer. I am really interested to see where exactly the supports touch the hull. I already think that the front supports should go under the front waterstay attachment right under the hull-flare. The back supports however?
All info I found on this subject:http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... ic.php?t=6 and http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=353
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

Same place aft. Under the waterstay chainplate and slightly aft.
That's where the bulkhead is located.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

When I was ordering my custom aluminum trailer I asked Quorning for exact dimensions of the factory cradle. The sent me a fax with full technical drawings. My cradle is different - the front supports are same, but the back is supported on a platform just aft of the centerboard trunk.

Ask them for the specs.
Marteko

Post by Marteko »

Well, I did ask them. Twice. Never got an answer. Maybe they only answer to people who buy a new boat?
gminkovsky

Post by gminkovsky »

No, they seem to only answer to dealers. I got all my answers through my dealer.Try to contact them via a nearest Dragonfly dealer (who may already have the info).
Jacob Blom
Your Country: The Netherlands, Harlingen

Boatyard trailer

Post by Jacob Blom »

Marteko wrote:Well, I did ask them. Twice. Never got an answer. Maybe they only answer to people who buy a new boat?
Please send your mailadress to blomjg@hotmail.com and a will send you all the original drawings.

Greetings,
Jacob Blom
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

gminkovsky wrote:snip
My cradle is different - the front supports are same, but the back is supported on a platform just aft of the centerboard trunk.

Ask them for the specs.
Yes gminkovsky is right. The aft support for the 920 is a single platform in the center just aft of the centerboard trunk.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Marteko

Post by Marteko »

Thx for ur info people. I like the aft supports on the side better: easier for antifouling. Got an answer from Quorning after all: they only give the plans to owners.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Marteko wrote:Thx for ur info people. I like the aft supports on the side better: easier for antifouling. Got an answer from Quorning after all: they only give the plans to owners.
But I thought you are an owner? They should support people who buy used boats. Check with a DF dealer for your country -- if they're smart they would have a long-term interest in developing a relationship.... even if you only buy used boats (dealers do business in trade-ins or brokerage).
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Marteko

Post by Marteko »

I am actively in the market for a DF920. But I do have a fairly good contact with the French dealer Multisailing. The dealer for Belgium is located in Holland, but is new concernig multihulls and I get the impression that he is not so familiar with DF.
gminkovsky

Post by gminkovsky »

What happened to the cradle of the 920 that you found? I was under impression that every new Quorning DF is delivered with a cradle, a yard dolly or a trailer. I know of a at least one boat that doesn't have it - but that was because the trailer was stolen...

Find out from the seller. Even if the boat is in the water, there is a cradle somewhere...
Thomas Larsson
Your Country: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Thomas Larsson »

As far as I know, the trolley or cradle are on the option list. At least this was the case for the DF 32 so I suspect this applies on all models. I bought my boat without either of them, but decided that I wanted the cradle anyway so I ordered it afterwards.

//Thomas
Dragonfly 32, SWE11
Grace O'Malley