Toilet hoses

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Toilet hoses

Post by Christian »

Got a slight smell of country side below the bunks in the front cabin. Think it may be the hoses of the toilet system. Has anybody replaced them? It seems to be 3 to replace. The first is quite easy to get hold of. The other two seems to be really hard to reach. Is there some trick to make this undertaking?
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

The issue is anaerobic bacteria. There is no way to keep the hoses clear or introduce fresh air between pump-outs, so organic matter sits in the hose and tank, and stinks. If you could introduce improved venting or keep the hose clear, aerobic bacteria would take over and the odor would not build up. Unfortunately that isn't easily done with the head plumbing for most production boats from any maker.

However, it is possible to do it with the tank using larger diameter air vents and/or cross-ventilation by adding a second vent. It's also possible using forced air. (Search the web for Groco 12V Sweetank Odor Neutralization System). Here is the manul for the device http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec1/pdfs/STK.pdf. It is rated 5w at 12v so your solar panels on a 920 might not keep up with it running continuously and shore power might be needed.)

I also recommend the book "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggie Hall. You can get it on Amazon.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
Michel Brown
Your Country: Canada, Quebec, Laval

Toilet hose

Post by Michel Brown »

Christian,
I changed that hose a few years ago. It's not a simple task, but feasable. On my boat, the hose was attached with other hoses with a tie-rap and it was out of sight. I was barely able to touch it with the tip of my finger. You have to cut that tie-rap first. Attached the new hose to the old one and pull the old hose.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hi Michel
Hesitating to start this operation, it looks tricky. Did you clean the tank before starting?
All connection are attached with double hose clamps. The problem is to get my arms into the small hole and reach down to those hose clamps. And during this operation don't mess things up. And on top of that, it looks real hard to clean the bilge. Don't want to leave any substance in the bilge.
Michel Brown
Your Country: Canada, Quebec, Laval

toilet hose

Post by Michel Brown »

Christian,
I did'nt clean the tank but it was an error. What a mess! The tank cannot be emptied completely without removing the aluminium cover. A simple pump out won't emptied it.
It was not easy to change this hose, but since then the odor has desappear.

Good luck
Christian

Thanks

Post by Christian »

Thanks for the advices, I have postponed the operation to next winter. Then will all smelling substance be frozen and not so smelly….
Christian

Still there?

Post by Christian »

Hi Michel
Got time to do the work this winter. Got all out but the one from toilet to tank. Found the strap and cut it. But the tub is still stuck. There is a piece of metal holding the tubes for some cables on the side of the tank. Did you remove that too?
/ Christian